Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 bc-030tx

My laptop specs are i5-6300HQ 2.3ghz, gtx 960m 4gb, and 4gb ram. For some reason, even at low settings and at 1080p, my fps hovers only around 20-30 in games like Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege. My old Asus X450LN laptop with specs of i5-4200U 1.6ghz, GT940m 2gb, and 4gb ram could run these games at above 60fps on low settings. I've done everything that I could think of like putting the power option to high performance mode, disabling the Battery Boost option in the Nvidia Geforce Experience app, updating the graphics card drivers, everything I could think of and it still didn't solve my problem. My laptop should be running these games smoothly on low settings yet it has a hard time doing so. Even my brother's computer which has lower specs compared to this laptop can run the games I mentioned at above 80fps. i don't know what else to do. I even turned off HP Coolsense as I thought it would help improve the gaming performance. Please I need help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tyrell1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you have a Low FPS in games,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you out:

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

For more assistance, please check a similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here  
(Though the header is different the steps will help get you a fix).

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Tyrell1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you have a Low FPS in games,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you out:

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

For more assistance, please check a similar HP Forums post (Resolved): Click here  
(Though the header is different the steps will help get you a fix).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

It seems to have helped a bit, but then a new problem popped up. My game is now getting up to 100FPS but the problem is that there are hiccups. By this I mean, I get upwards of 100FPS then suddenly it goes down to maybe 50-60FPS which causes the game to stutter. Any solutions for this?

HP Recommended

@Tyrell1

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

I understand you've performed the steps suggested and now your game is stuttering,

I have a solution for this as well, Yes: (Although, it's a workaround),

Since you are using the windows, the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly.

Here's how you do it:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. 
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

(The Lannisters sends their regards) 😛

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've done it and the stutters are still there. I'm at a loss. I found out that when playing games, the disk usage goes to 100% with "System and compressed memory" being the main cause of it. Does disabling superfetch help with this? I've also read that disabling HP 3D Driveguard may improve performance.

HP Recommended

@Tyrell1

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Yes, to an extend disabling those programs have a positive effect on the performance, so please go ahead.

CPUs are quite often the cause of it. If your CPU is not able to keep up with the GPU, the rendering will bog down as the GPU waits to be sent new rendering data from the CPU.

If you think from the above this might be the case, you can monitor while playing with MSI Afterburner via its onscreen readout. Check for extremely high CPU usage percentage, with GPU usage being lower than normal. (At your own discretion as MSI Afterburner isn't manufactured or sold by HP - It's my personal suggestion to help you out).

If none of the above is the problem, it could be high temps or a failing part, including PSU.
I recommend running a hardware test on the system using this link: Click here

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.