Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 15-eb0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I feel as though I must be missing something simple.  Despite my best efforts I can find very little information about the HP MPP 2.0 tilt pen that came with my Spectre x360 Convertible 15-eb0xxx model 9GB30UA#ABA.  The pen worked fine at first, and then began blinking orange.  I plugged it in using the USB-C cable but the charging LED does not light up.  The pen no longer works.  Is there any troubleshooting that can be done, or should I just make a warranty claim?

I've tried a USB -> USB-C cable, and tried all USB-C ports on the notebook.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, I also have just recently bought an HP 15-eb0008ca.

I plugged the pen into one of the usb-c ports using the provided short usb-c cable. I had a momentary red flash on the pen light, then that was it, no more lights. Tried charging it in various chargers, using various cables, no success.

Talked to HP support and they told me to take the laptop to BestBuy where i bought it, I did so and the lady there opened a new box and gave me the pen from that one and took the old pen. (The laptop was perfectly fine, I didn't really want a new one)

Got home, plugged in the new pen and the exact same issue. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, the instructions indicate that I should be seeing a charging light. Need help!

HP Recommended

@IreneWTF @DMCole

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Set up the pen

1. Remove the pen from its packaging.

Removing the pen from its packaging

2. Twist the pen to unlock it...

Twisting the pen cap

...and then pull the end up to access the charger.

Pulling the pen  cap to access the charger

3. Charge the pen with a USB-C plug.

Plugging in the USB-C plug to the pen's charger

A white LED illuminates to indicate the pen is charging.

4. Wait one hour for the pen to fully charge, and then disconnect the charger.

5. Twist the pen cap to close and lock it back into place.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replaying to us Echo_Lake,

Unfortunately, as both posts above mentioned, the pens are not charging while plugged in. (The pen in the instructions you posted is slightly different, ours does not have the twisting cap, but instead uses a sliding top)

Do you have any other suggestions? Or is it common for these pens to self destruct upon charging?

HP Recommended

@IreneWTF

Thank you for posting back,

This sounds like hardware related issue with the HP Pen. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I contacted support and they are shipping me a new pen.

HP Recommended

@DMCole

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.