Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy Model 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, if not could someone point my in the right direction?

I have been using this laptop for years using HDMI in dual monitor mode. However, 2 days ago the display switched to the TV only as soon as I plug the cord into the HDMI socket. I can use F4 key to select Dual, but as soon as I release the key it switches back to the TV.

I'm using Win 7x64, no new software or hardware added. Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@David12228,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• How are both the displays connected to the computer?
  • Are you using any converters?

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I checked the video driver and it is up to date. However, when I bought this laptop I chose to have Windows 7 instead of the then latest and greatest OS, Win 8. I did once make the mistake of updating the BIOS but of course the update installed the Win 8 version and the machine would not boot. Cost a few bob to get that sorted out and was warned never to update the BIOS again.

So I'm not out of the mire yet.

David

HP Recommended

@David12228,

How are both the displays connected to the computer?

Are you using any converters?

Help me with the above information to provide you an accurate solution.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I use an HDMI cable directly from the laptop to the HDMI input on the TV. It has worked perfectly until a few days ago. No changes to any software or hardware.

David

HP Recommended

@David12228,

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when everything was working fine.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a system restore.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01835735

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I would do a system restore except for one thing, it never works on this machine. I've tried many times, it starts enthusiastically, runs for about 10 minutes and ends with "Unable to complete, no files have been changed" or words to that effect. I've asked about it on assorted forums, tried various fixes, never got it to work.

I've been planning to swap the 250 Gig SSD for a 500 Gig I bought a couple of years ago, but medical issues have got in the way, but maybe this is the is the tipping point.

Thanks for your input.

David

HP Recommended

@David12228,

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer and check.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a reset.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.