Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Laptop 15-db00015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I just bought a new HP laptop.  When I move around the mouse pointer on the touch pad, applications will start without any clicking of the left or right buttons.  If I just hover over an app name, it starts.  What's going on?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Friars99,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can customize actions for finger clicks or the area size for right-clicks from the ClickPad Properties page. Use the following steps to adjust and customize clicking.

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window

3. Open the ClickPad Settings.

ClickPad settings

4. Click to highlight Clicking. If the checkbox next to Clicking does not contain a check mark, click the checkbox until a check mark displays to enable clicking.

Clicking on the ClickPad properties page

5. Click the Settings icon  to adjust clicking settings.

Clicking settings window

6. Customize one-finger, two-finger, three-finger, and corner click actions by clicking on the down icon  to open the click action menu for each item. Scroll through the menu to make your selection. Some selections required additional information. If the Configure button is enabled after your selection, click Configure and follow the instructions.

7. Click the Close button.

8. Click the down icon  next to Clicking, and then click Right Button Zone.

9. Click the Settings icon  to adjust the right-click button zone .

A window displays showing a green area where the ClickPad recognizes a right-click.

Example of the default right-click zone area

10. Hover the cursor over the small black dot on the left side of the green box until a double-sided arrow displays, and then drag the mouse left to expand the right-click zone.

Example of the right-click zone area expanded left

11. Click Close to return to the ClickPad properties.

12. Click Apply to apply your changes and then click OK to exit the properties screen.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I think I figured it out. I am touching the pad when I hover the mouse pointer over an application and that opens the application even though I am not clicking a button.  Is there a way to set open only on a click?  Thanks, again!

HP Recommended

@Friars99,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can customize actions for finger clicks or the area size for right-clicks from the ClickPad Properties page. Use the following steps to adjust and customize clicking.

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window

3. Open the ClickPad Settings.

ClickPad settings

4. Click to highlight Clicking. If the checkbox next to Clicking does not contain a check mark, click the checkbox until a check mark displays to enable clicking.

Clicking on the ClickPad properties page

5. Click the Settings icon  to adjust clicking settings.

Clicking settings window

6. Customize one-finger, two-finger, three-finger, and corner click actions by clicking on the down icon  to open the click action menu for each item. Scroll through the menu to make your selection. Some selections required additional information. If the Configure button is enabled after your selection, click Configure and follow the instructions.

7. Click the Close button.

8. Click the down icon  next to Clicking, and then click Right Button Zone.

9. Click the Settings icon  to adjust the right-click button zone .

A window displays showing a green area where the ClickPad recognizes a right-click.

Example of the default right-click zone area

10. Hover the cursor over the small black dot on the left side of the green box until a double-sided arrow displays, and then drag the mouse left to expand the right-click zone.

Example of the right-click zone area expanded left

11. Click Close to return to the ClickPad properties.

12. Click Apply to apply your changes and then click OK to exit the properties screen.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Perfect!  Thanks very much for your help.

mark

HP Recommended

@Friars99,

I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.