Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 - 13-y013cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I purchased my HP Envy x360, i7-7500U, WIN10 two days ago, I was told by the sales rep that I do not need to create a recovery disk as this particular notebook pc has a  Drive D (Recovery) nor would it be necessary to create a mirror image of the OS.  I am a bit hesitant and confused as I have always done this with all my desktops and laptops in the past.   I will, however, do weekly backups to an external portable Seagate backup drive.  Will that method ensure that I will be able to "resurrect", recover my Envy x360 from the external backup  should I not be able to start it/boot it.  

Just lost a 4-year old Toshiba Win10 OS two days ago - not bootable and totally dead.  Unable to resurrect/charge even with a new universal AC adapter/charger.  Sad news.  This HP Envy is it's replacement.  I would appreciate any help with and input to my concern.      

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I do not understand sales reps telling people they do not need to create Recovery Media! Other than pure ignorance to the fact of possibilty of file corruption in the recovery partition -or failure of the hard drive which has the recovery partition on it. If the hard drive fails, the recovery function dies with it. A weekly backup can NOT restore the machine to working condition in the event of failure to boot.

By all means create your Recovery Media and if you are back in that store inform them or the sales rep of this erroneous advice to customers. Many people will simply take it as solid info.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I do not understand sales reps telling people they do not need to create Recovery Media! Other than pure ignorance to the fact of possibilty of file corruption in the recovery partition -or failure of the hard drive which has the recovery partition on it. If the hard drive fails, the recovery function dies with it. A weekly backup can NOT restore the machine to working condition in the event of failure to boot.

By all means create your Recovery Media and if you are back in that store inform them or the sales rep of this erroneous advice to customers. Many people will simply take it as solid info.

HP Recommended

Thank you, CherylG for clarifying and backing up what I've always known and practiced with every computer I have ever owned.  You have restored my confidence.   Shame on the sales rep.   Not only will I make a recovery disk but a mirror image copy of my new HP Envy notebook's OS, to boot.  Pardon the pun. I am so glad I joined the HP Support Forum.  I can't thank you enough, CherylG. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Your plan is solid-Recovery Media plus mirror Image should have you prepared to handle almost any catastrophe. It is not hard to agree with someone who evidently knows best practices on computer maintenance.:smileyhappy:

Btw, I am glad you joined the forum too! Welcome. You will find many helpful people here always willing to lend a hand wherever possible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.