Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-cw0505sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, 

After updating to windows 10 1903, the night light toggle does nothing. I have tried turning it on from the settings and also the action center. I'm fairly certain that this is a bug in the driver. I tried running driver updates from HP Assistance and Windows Update. I have also tried resetting the laptop but that did not help.

I would appreciate if this laptop could get a newer graphics and chipset driver update.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Fishieee

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

As I understand from your post,  the Night Light is not working. Don't worry, I'd be happy to help. 

Let's try these steps to re-install the graphics driver - 

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
2) In Device Manager, expand Display Adapter. 
3) Right-click on the Display Adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try these steps to update the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey, so I tried doing what you said, but that still did not fix the issue. I still cant turn on night light.

HP Recommended

@Fishieee

Thanks for replying. Try these steps - 

1) Press the Windows key to launch the Start Menu.

2) Click on your profile picture and select Sign-out.

3) Restart and sign-in again.

Let me know.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey, I followed those steps and night light still does not work. I really think this is a driver issue since it used to work fine in an older windows 10 version. After this 1903 update, it doesnt work

HP Recommended

@Fishieee I've reviewed this thread and here's what you need to know & do:

"Use Spacebar" as it turns the keyboard lights on and off when pressed in combination with the fn key, this may have changed after the update (worth the shot),

that said, you may also refer to the below steps to resolve the issue: 

1. Open Control Panel, Power Options (powercfg.cpl).
  2. Click Choose what the power buttons do
  3. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
  4. Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended), and click OK.
  5. Click Start, click on the Power button and click Restart

This should do the trick, let me know if it does,

And If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey there, I would like to say that I don't use any keyboard combinations to turn on night light. I use the windows notification center area to turn it on. I also tried in the windows settings app to see if it works there as well but still doesn't. I would also like to say that my laptop doesn't have any keyboard lights.

I followed your steps  and turned off fast startup and then restarted the laptop, night light still doesn't work.

Is there anyway you could let this be an known issue for this laptop and pass it on to the driver team or something?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Okay, so I tried installing the chipset AND graphics drivers from the AMD website and it works. though the website says i should use laptop drivers from the devices page. I would like to request a new update to the chipset drivers to be added to this laptops drivers page as there are no chipset drivers in the hp support page for this laptop.

HP Recommended

@Fishieee

Have you tried updating the computer as suggested in this post

I'd also suggest, try creating a new user account - 

1. Tap the Windows icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap Accounts.
4. Select Family & other users.
5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9. Tap the Windows icon.
10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you read my latest post? Please read it again properly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.