Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4001
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cracked the glass screen cover on my LCD screen causing the right half of the touch screen to stop working. The LCD screen itself was not damaged and continued to function normally. I took the machine to a local computer repair store thinking the glass cover over the LCD screen could be replaced. Since the glass is apparently fused to the LCD screen, this repair is apparently not feasible without replacing the entire screen.

The tech replaced the full LCD screen twice. The LCD screen works each time but the touch screen portion (digitizer) will not respond using either new screen. I am at a loss of what the issue is and how to fix it. The tech is at a loss, too, apparently. Anyone have ideas about how to fix this? Can only HP repair this? The unit is nearly 2 years old (out of warranty). Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MSTEGER

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have got the display screen replaced for your HP Spectre x360 - 13-4001 laptop as the glass was cracked. I read that post replacing the screen, the touch screen portion (digitizer) will not respond using new screen. The screen has been replaced twice and the issue persists. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

I did some research on this case and found the compatible list of screens for this laptop. Please refer to page# 36 of the service guide to view the compatible list of displays for this laptop. 

You may contact our HP phone support to get the repair options for your laptop. 

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any questions All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I made an error.. the correct model number of my machine is 13-4003DX, not 13-4001DX.  Product number is L0Q51UA #ABA

The computer repair shop replaced the full screen (meaning the glass digitizer cover and the LED screen) but the touchscreen portion (digitizer) won't function.  The LED screen itself is fine.  The full top cover (with screen, top aluminum case, etc.) down to the hinges (apparently called the "display assembly") was not replaced. They tried 2 new screens to no avail.

I don't know if there is a feature of the touchscreen that is somehow turned off and simply needs to be turned on (software wise) or what the issue is. I have the full HD not the quad-HD screen. 

P.36 discusses removing the touch pad.  From the document, it appears that only the full top of the display (from the hinges up) is replaceable, but it does not show the individual pieces of the display unit.

Will trying the PC Hardware diagnostics help possibly determine if there is an issue with the Touchscreen? 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@MSTEGER

You're welcome. 🙂

Thanks for mentioning the correct model no. 

You may perform the touchscreen troubleshooting by following the steps from this link. Please look for steps mentioned under "Screen does not respond to touch, or responds intermittently and then "Screen does not respond to the stylus".

The steps included under  "Screen does not respond to touch or responds intermittently" have an option to run a hardware test on the touchscreen.

Hope this helps. Let me know. Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Hello:

I went through and followed all HP suggestions including trying the things you mentioned.  I did a BIOS update, uninstalled the touchscreen in Device Manager, did the HP PC hardware diagnostics, did a full reboot (reset), etc.  Nothing activates the touchscreen.  I don't know what else to try at this point.

I am going to have the computer store order a whole new screen (from the cables/hinges up).  That way, we are replacing more of the screen instead of just the LED and glass cover (digitizer).

Thanks.
Matt

HP Recommended

@MSTEGER

You're welcome. 🙂

I hope all goes well and the touchscreen starts to work again. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I ended up replacing the entire screen assembly (from the cords and hinges up) and I am now back in action.  Apparently, the issue was with either one of the cables or the connectors from the screen.  Touchscreen now fully functions now.  I had also prior re-installed WIN10 in case it was a software issue.. that didn't fix the issue, of course, since now the replacement hardware did the trick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.