Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13t-aw000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Once the laptop enters sleep mode the only was to regain screen display is hard reboot.   Keyboard and touch pad are alive.  Keys light up and you can generate beeps from invalid key strokes, but no display.  Tapping on/off button also does nothing.  You must push on/off button till there is a hard shutdown and then press to start.  Fresh reboot generates expected screen displays and behavior.

This is a brand new unit under initial configuration.  The only software installed is 64-bit Office 365,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GregoryDave,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not waking up from sleep correctly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.

From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,

Click and open the ‘Power options’.

Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.

Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.

In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.

Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@GregoryDave,

I recommend you install all the Windows updates (Including optional) and check whether the issue is resolved.

Here is how it is done.

Type Update in the search box, and select Windows Update from the list of results. In the left pane, select Change settings, and then under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended).

If you continue facing the issue then follow the below steps.

Hibernation is another power-saving mode in our Windows but it’s also known to interfere with the sleep mode and cause the computer will not wake up from sleep mode in Windows 10 problem. So we can try to disable and enable the feature to see if it fixes the issue. Here’s how:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type cmd. Then click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
  2. Click Yes when prompted with a User Account Control window.

3. Type the following command lines and press Enter after each:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off powercfg.exe /hibernate on

4. Again, try to put your PC to sleep and wake it up to see if it functions properly.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The first thing you do with a new computer is apply ALL the Windows/MS updates.  Then you apply the vendor(HP) updates.  All updates were applied and reconfirmed for the upteenth time.  I also ran HP diagnostics. 

Hibernate made no difference,  The computer wakes up including the mouse and keyboard.  The display does not wake up and remains completely black.  The only recovery is a hard reboot.

HP Recommended

@GregoryDave,

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Option 1 - Adjust Power Management
Windows Key+X
Click Device Manager
Right-click your keyboard (later on do it for mouse also)
Click Properties
Go to Power Management tab
Check Allow this device to wake the computer
OK

Option 2 - Disable USB selective suspend settings
Type Power in Windows Start Search box
Click Power Options
Select your Power Plan > Change Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings
Disable USB selective suspend settings

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem is not that the machine does not wake.  The machine wakes.  When I touch keys or use a USB mouse or use the built in touch pad the keyboard back light comes on.   if I I am using a USB mouse, the mouse light comes on.  If I swamp the key pad in frustration I can frequently trigger a beep.  

I am not a guru in this field but sounds like a BIOS issue.  Input is not being turned on for display when it wakes.

HP Recommended

Additional information.  I connected my dual 27 inch monitors to the laptop.  I waited 15 minutes and let the screen go black. Upon awakening one of the dual monitors woke up and accepted my credentials.  It behaved correctly.  The notebook screen did not return and neither did one of the 27 inch monitors.  I tried to detect the monitors.  It remembered there had been 3 at one time but could only detect the one.

HP Recommended

@GregoryDave,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.