Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm looking for clarification on the support information posted on this page

OMEN by HP Notebook - Mini-DisplayPort Does Not Support MST (Multi-Stream Transport)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05625989

The page specifically appears to be saying that daisy chaining monitors will not work from Omen notebooks using DisplayPort 1.2 MST.

My questions are

1. Does this limitation include all current Omen notebooks?

2. Does this limitation also apply to using a MST hub to connect to multiple monitors from an Omen notebook? (Not daisy chaining from one monitor to another.)

3. Would this limitation also apply to monitors being connected to a DP 1.4 port on a ThunderBolt 3 Hub connected to an Omen notebook?

If these are true, it seems like a serious limitation, unless there is some other way to extend monitors from an Omen notebook that is not mentioned.

Are there more details about this elsewhere?

Thanks for your attention.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @tm-say 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

The limitation is mostly on all the Omen systems. However, if you wish to extend to an external monitor, you can Open OMEN Command Center on the main screen. Move the content to the second screen by pressing the Screen Switch key or dragging it to the second screen.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Nirvana_95 ,

Thanks for replying.

However, I'm not clear on your comment about using the Omen Command Center.

Does this enable MST support for extending with multiple monitors?

Drag what content to the second screen, and I don't see a screen switch key?

TM

HP Recommended

Adjust system settings and configure second screen settings.

Open OMEN Command Center on the main screen.

Move the content to the second screen by pressing the Screen Switch key or dragging it to the second screen.

Monitor System Vitals, choose Performance Control, or adjust the keyboard and exterior Lighting.

Use Settings to configure second screen options.

NOTE: When used on the second screen, OMEN Command Center is optimized for the smaller screen size and touch interface.

System Vitals

Performance Control

Lighting

Real-time Screen Mirroring

Settings

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Nirvana_95,

Thanks for your reply, however...

1. In my Omen command center I don't see a Screen Switch key, or Real-time Screen Mirroring.

2. I already understand how to enable a second monitor through windows. The question I I have raised is concerning MST capability through the DisplayPort on the Omen, not about putting content on a second monitor.

3. This OMEN has DisplayPort 1.4, which supports MST according to the Intel Display Port description.

"Multi-Stream Transport (MST) is a feature of DisplayPort 1.2 and newer..."

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000059105/graphics.html

4. Here is another HP support thread on this site asking about OMEN MST support.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Can-i-use-MTS-with-my-OMEN-laptop/td-p/7563918

In this case the answer from HP support is,

"Yes, you can connect an MST hub to the mini display port and connect multiple monitors however, HP doesn’t recommend using that."

This suggests MST is supported, but is not recommended for some reason?

Is the OMEN's MST limitation because of an issue with the nVidia (2060 in this case) video card or driver, or because of some other issue? Please clarify.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Please note that MST hub is a 3rd party product. Hence, we cannot speak for that, or its functionality, which is why we don't recommend it.

Hope this helps! 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Duly noted that you cannot recommend a 3rd party product because HP cannot speak for it, or its functionality. Thanks for that.

Unfortunately this doesn't help with my enquiry, which concerned HP Omen support of MST as per the DisplayPort 1.2 description.

Lets see if I can clarify the question by taking it a step at a time.

My question

Does an Omen laptop with DisplayPort 1.4 support the use of MST, as per the DisplayPort 1.2 description, or is there a limitation of the Omen that prevents this?

DisplayPort 1.2 description from Intel:

Why am I asking?

I'm asking because I want to understand if it is worth considering an MST hub to support multiple monitors.

However, it is unclear if the Omen laptop (with NVIDIA 2060 gpu) is capable of supporting the use of an MST hub for driving multiple monitors.

( I'm not asking for a recommendation for a specific MST hub product.)

Why is it unclear if the Omen is capable of supporting the use of an MST hub for driving multiple monitors?

Because of the information detailed below from HP, and the DisplayPort description

1. The DisplayPort 1.2 description says - MST is a feature of DisplayPort 1.2 and newer.
  2. An HP knowledge base article says - the Omen laptop does not support daisy-chained multi-monitor arrangements using DisplayPort 1.2 MST.
  3. HP support answer to a question from April 2020 "Can i use MTS with my OMEN laptop", says - "Yes, you can connect an MST hub to the mini display port and connect multiple monitors however, HP doesn’t recommend using that. The Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card supports up to 4 monitors. You could connect multiple monitors to single DisplayPort output."

References

1. DisplayPort 1.2 description from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000059105/graphics.html

1. HP Knowledge base article:

From <https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05625989>

OMEN by HP Notebook - Mini-DisplayPort Does Not Support MST (Multi-Stream Transport)

The mini-DisplayPort on OMEN byHP Laptop does not support daisy-chained multi-monitor arrangements using DisplayPort 1.2 MST (Multi-Stream Transport). When connecting to a monitor featuring DP1.2 MST support, one or more of the following behaviors maybe observed:

• OMEN by HP Laptop may freeze, requiring a forced shutdown and restart of Windows
  • Internal and external displays may flash repeatedly
  • Downstream displays connected to DP1.2 MST monitor do not work

To avoid this behavior,customers should disable the MST (Multi-Stream Transport) setting on themonitor or change the DisplayPort mode to DisplayPort 1.1 via the monitor’son-screen controls.

OMEN by HP Laptopmini-DisplayPort connection supports the full DisplayPort 1.2 bandwidth fordisplays up to 4k (3840 x 2160) resolution @ 75 Hz.

1. HP Support:

From <https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Can-i-use-MTS-with-my-OMEN-laptop/td-p/7563918>

Can i use MTS with my OMEN laptop?

"Yes, you can connect an MST hub to the mini display port and connect multiple monitors however, HP doesn’t recommend using that.

The Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card supports up to 4 monitors. You could connect multiple monitors to single DisplayPort output."

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

HP Recommended

Please note that your GPU must support DisplayPort 1.2 MST. MST stands for “multi-stream transport,” and it’s the software that enables daisy-chaining between DisplayPort ports. If your GPU doesn’t currently support MST, you should be able to download an MST driver online. The driver will then enable daisy-chaining on your GPU.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.