Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Elitebook 840 G6 with an intel core i5-8365U CPU @1.6 ghz  1.9ghz with 16gb RAM, running Windows 10. 

The GPU is a Intel UHD Graphics 620.

In my display properties,  the max resolution I can select is 1920 x 1080.

I am wanting to connect this laptop to a single 4k display and ideally display 60hz refresh rate.  Looking online here, this GPU seems to support 4k at 60hz. .

1) What is the optimal way to connect this laptop to my 4k display such that I can use the full 4k resolution?  I'd prefer to connect through a thunderbolt dock that I can use to dock/charge and connect other usb devices to (mic/speaker for voip calls, webcam, etc).  What do I need to be looking for in terms of specs in a dock that can best meet my display objective in terms of displaying 4k at the best refresh rate?

2) When I connect the Elitebook directly to the 4k display via HDMI cable, the max resolution I can see in display properties is still 1920x1080.  How do I configure this for closer to 4k resolution?  Is it possible?

3) Can I gain anything in terms of resolution and refresh rate by connecting to the 4k display via my laptop's thunderbolt port > Thunderbolt/usb-c dock>hdmi>4k display or am I better off connecting the laptop directly to the 4k display via hdmi cable?

Would really appreciate any help or clarity on the above! Thx in advance, 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Dladler 

It has following ports

• USB Type-C (Thunderbolt)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 port
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 charging port
  • HDMI 1.4
  • RJ-45 (network) connector
  • Docking connector
  • Audio-out (headphone)/audio-in (microphone) combo jack
  • AC port

2. The HDMI 1.4 port support 1920 x 1080 @60Hz. It won't support 4K monitors, you need HDMI 2.0

3. You can use Thunderbolt port to get better resolution... with a compatible dock.

1. It has docking station port which is the BEST way to connect with a compatible dock for example

https://www.cdw.com/product/hp-2013-ultraslim-docking-station/3145919

You can use 2 DisplayPort ports for 2 FHD monitors or 1 4K monitor.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien, thank you for your reply.  Once I get a dock plugged into the laptop, is there anything I need to do with the configuration, either in Windows or in system bios, to tell system to output more resolution or does the resolution on display settings automatically show the max resolution supported by hardware that is plugged into the laptop?  

In short, outside of getting a compatible dock that interface w the thunderbolt port, what else do I need to do besides connect the dock to my elitebook and then connect my display to the doc?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.