Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is the latest 17 inch HP pavilion with the latest Windows 10 fall update. The trackpad is playing up. I have tried uninstalling and reintalling drivers. I restart and it works, then left and right click stop, then double tap to click. Right now I can move the cursor with the trackpad, but that usually stops working after a while too.

This all started when I tried installing precision trackpad drivers, but after uninstalling them and reinstalling the latest drivers through support assistant, I still get the same issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Reinstalling drivers did nothing, so I decided to refresh the PC instead, which has resolved the issue. Windows no longer recognises the trackpad as a 'precision trackpad', which seems to have been the nub of the issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @johnsmith4,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the cursor flickering at the lower left corner of the screen. Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity, and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:

• Did try uninstalling the touchpad and keyboard drivers and check again?

For now please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Mice and other pointing devices>then select the Synaptics touchpad drivers.
  • Right-click on it and uninstall the touchpad drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then update the bios, chipset and Synaptics touchpad drivers from this link:http://hp.care/2syreDe
  • Select the country and type the product# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to update it.
  • Now check if the issue gets fixed.

• If it does not, then follow the steps to configure the touchpad from this link: http://hp.care/2gzItkJ and follow the relevant steps that best match your issue.
  • Then check if it gets resolved.

• For further assistance, you could also follow the guided troubleshooter http://hp.care/2hsB1YQ to troubleshoot touchpad and keyboard issues.
  • Now check if it gets fixed.

• If it continues try performing a Microsoft push-button reset from this link: http://hp.care/2toQrBj and by selecting the correct options, it does not cause data loss.
  • This will fix the issue as long as it is not hardware related.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Reinstalling drivers did nothing, so I decided to refresh the PC instead, which has resolved the issue. Windows no longer recognises the trackpad as a 'precision trackpad', which seems to have been the nub of the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @johnsmith4,

I have reviewed the post. Thanks for responding. You've done great here by displaying excellent technical competence, immense patience and a never say die spirit to take it to its logical conclusion. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂 I am glad the refresh worked like a charm.

Now Trust me I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. I genuinely hope the product works great and stays healthy for a long time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and to have worked with you. 

If this helped, to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.