Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ever since my HP Laptop automatically installed the Windows 10 update (v2004) I have had problems with my cursor and with several keyboard keys. My daughter has the same laptop AND is having the same problems!

Cursor - will be OK for awhile, then it will disappear, jump around the screen by itself, freeze, etc.

Keyboard - problems with keys "b", "n" and "7" and "delete". They work sometimes, then will stop working. Sometimes I am able to keep pressing the key and they will work, or I can restart the computer and they will work for awhile. Other times I have to cut and past the letter(s) just to be able to type something. Sometimes the letter will repeat, even if only pressed once.

I did a little research (but admittedly I'm not very techy) and it seems like there are issues with HP not having updated drivers to be compatible with v2004. Here are some of the things I have tried, with varying amounts of success, but then the problems return.

1. Disabled the touch screen.

2. Ran a complete virus scan (my laptop is protected by Norton, which is up-to-date, and showed no evidence of any threats).

3. Used HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to check the keyboard, etc.

Synaptics SMBus TouchPad was 19.5.35.1 and HP Wireless Button was 1.1.21.1. When I checked for updates, it said that I had the most updated drivers. However, using Device Manager, I updated both drivers (using "automatically search..." and the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad was updated to 19.5.35.54 and the HP Wireless Button was updated to 2.1.14.1. This seems to have helped, but I am still having some issues - just a little less frequently.

Standard PS/2 Keyboard was 10.0.19041.1. Checking this, it says this is the most updated driver and that it is working and that there are no compatibility issues. After doing these things, I used the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to check the keyboard and was able to use all of the keys. However, after about an hour, I started having the same problems with the same keys! 

I am getting very frustrated and need to know what I can do to resolve these issues. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@JerseyDevil13

I reviewed your post and I understand that the cursor and some of the keys are not working on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the product number of your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you uninstall the keyboard driver from the device manager and then restart the computer and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is the Product # the same as the Product ID that is listed under “Device Specifications” on the “About” tab?

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the keyboard and the mouse I listed in my original post.

HP Recommended

@JerseyDevil13

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product number: 1TJ81UA#ABA

HP Recommended

@JerseyDevil13

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you install the touchpad driver and BIOS from the below link and check if it helps.

Touchpad: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101501-102000/sp101991.exe

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100871.exe

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to do the Bios update and got a message box:

This is the HP Bios update and recovery utility. It can:

* update the system Bios on this device.

* create a recovery USB flash drive to use on devices with corrupted Bios.

* copy the Bios image in order to use it on other devices.

I wasn't sure how to proceed or if I should have installed the touchpad driver first. I just want to make sure I don't need to create a recovery USB flash drive or do anything to make sure I don't lose all my files, settings and apps.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@JerseyDevil13

Follow the steps in the below article to update the BIOS on the computer.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You previously replied to my question about having trouble with my keyboard and sent me these two links to update the touchpad and BIOS. However, when I tried to update the BIOS it said that it isn't compatible with my device. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@JerseyDevil13

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.