Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting notifications from the Radion App that software updates are available, but the updates won't install. The new recommended update doesn't start the installer at all. The new optional update starts the installer but fails with an 'Error 182' message. 

I contacted HP customer support but they wouldn't help. I also contacted AMD but they didn't get back to me. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

System Overview from Radeon App

Radeon Software Version - Q1 2018
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz

Software Details from Radeon App

Radeon Settings Version - 1.0.2.1
Driver Packaging Version - 17.40.1034.1005-180131a-324130C
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1624
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01304
OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13497
OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.792.1280
Radeon Audio Driver Version - Not Available
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.7.0
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.54

Hardware Details from Radeon App

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics
Device ID - 694E
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 83BB
SubSystem Vendor ID - 103C
Revision ID - C0
Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8
BIOS Version - 015.051.000.000
BIOS Part Number - 406913.180126.01
BIOS Date - 2018/01/26 01:47
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - HBM2
Memory Clock - 700 MHz
Core Clock - 1011 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 179 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 1.40 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mouse-rat 

Sorry, but this is a now common issue with Windows 10 and AMD video chipsets -- in that Windows keeps prompting to do a driver update but the update does not work.  I get the same annoying notifications on my PC and all I can do is ignore them.

I am running v20.10.1 but I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old AMD drivers before updating them from drivers downloaded directly from AMD.  You can get DDU from here:  https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I've tried uninstalling the drivers with the AMD utility here, AMD Cleanup Utility to Remove AMD Driver Files | AMD. But I installed the HP display driver in the hope that that would fix it, I assumed the ones I had originally were corrupted. I'll give your suggestion a whirl!

HP Recommended

@mouse-rat 

The AMD cleanup utility generally DOES work -- so I don't know that DDU is going to do any better.

Also, it's generally a BAD idea to install drivers from AMD on laptops because those need the drivers provided by the OEM -- in this case, HP.  While AMD drivers do work sometimes, most often, they do not -- and when that happens, you have to revert to the HP drivers.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I tried a bit of a mish-mash of your suggestion. I used the AMD clean up utility and re-installed the driver reccomended via Intel Driver & Support Assistant.  System appears to be working fine so far and no update notifications yet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.