Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have several ZBooks (15 G4 and 14u G4) where the function keys for display brightness (fn+f5 or fn+f6) do not work under Windows 10 Pro.  The other function keys do work, such as volume or keyboard backlight. 

I have already update the BIOS and video drivers, but there is no HP Hotkey Support driver available for these models. 

What else can be done to get the screen brightness hot keys working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally got it working!  I found a Hotkey Support driver from 2016 which did the trick (v6.2.20.8).

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76021.exe

This worked on both the ZBook 15 G4 and ZBook 14u G4.  Prior to installing this I had installed latest BIOS and Video drivers, so those may be needed, but haven't verified. 

It sure would be nice if HP were to include this in the list of drivers for the models that require it.  Posting on forums and google for a day just to get the required drivers was not something I had to do when when supporting systems from other manufacturers. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue on my Zbook 14 (1st gen) running Windows 10 Pro. Fn brightness keys don;t work, all others do work. Running latest BIOS and repaired the Hotkey driver (the one from 2015, no newer available), still nothing. Changing brightness via windows works fine.

HP Recommended

Finally got it working!  I found a Hotkey Support driver from 2016 which did the trick (v6.2.20.8).

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76021.exe

This worked on both the ZBook 15 G4 and ZBook 14u G4.  Prior to installing this I had installed latest BIOS and Video drivers, so those may be needed, but haven't verified. 

It sure would be nice if HP were to include this in the list of drivers for the models that require it.  Posting on forums and google for a day just to get the required drivers was not something I had to do when when supporting systems from other manufacturers. 

HP Recommended

HEllo all,

Did all that's written on this page, still doesn't work for me. As it was described previously, all other hotkey buttons work but the brigthness... :mansad:

Details: first removed the version that I had in my system, then installed the 2016 version. Doesn't work still.

Do you have any tips what to do now?

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

OK so after a year of trying various solutions on my 2017 Zbook 14u G4 - I have finally done it.

Actually most of the other solutions to this are correct or partly correct. YMMV but this worked for me:

• You need to go to : https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers
    • Let it autodetect your hardware.
  • Select your product.
  • Under Driver-Graphics
    • Download and reinstall: Intel Video Driver and Control Panel
  • Under Software-Solutions:
    • Download and reinstall: HP Hotkey Support
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Test the keys.

All the answers pointing to old versions of drivers DID NOT WORK FOR ME AT ALL. In fact these were already both installed as far as I could tell, I keep my drivers up to date through the HP support application - but reinstalling them over my current up to date Windows 10 installation made it work. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

HP Recommended

I want to confirm the fix using software solutions,  hp hotkey support. Quickly fixed when nothing else worked. Didn't need to redownload the graphics. Thank you to the person who posted this fix.

HP Recommended

The solution by DrDanielSwan is the one that actually works. This must be marked as the link in the beginning and not the other answer.

Thanks for writing this solution on the forum and saving my time.

HP Recommended

Thanks! Happy it helped someone 🙂

HP Recommended

Same problem with my HP ZBook 15U G4.  I got this warning but I cant find which do I need to uninstall prior to installation of sp76021

error.png

HP Recommended

Thanks, Sillyeagle!

What a shame HP can't come up with stuff like this themselves. I went through all the trouble of downloading their Virtual Assistant program with all its Checkups, Troubleshooters, Updates and god knows what else.....but couldn't even FIND, much less FIX the non-working brightness Hot Keys.

Sad.

Working great now. Thanks again.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.