Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I'm currently having graphics card installation problems. I am running Windows 10 Home Edition in 64 bit on a HP Envy TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook laptop. Everytime the AMD Radeon 8610G HD graphics card tries to install through Windows Updates I get a black screen during installation. The screen would go through flickering trying to complete the installation but it ends with a black screen. Please help.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Genesis123,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Are you facing any issue with the display?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you download and install the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you follow the below steps.

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Device Manager, click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Expand the category with the hardware you want to update.
  4. Right-click the device, and select Update Driver.
  5. Click the Search automatically for updated driver software option.

Once you've completed the steps, if there's a newer version of the driver available will download and install automatically. (This process is similar to using Windows Update.)

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette wrote:

@Genesis123,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Are you facing any issue with the display?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you download and install the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you follow the below steps.

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Device Manager, click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Expand the category with the hardware you want to update.
  4. Right-click the device, and select Update Driver.
  5. Click the Search automatically for updated driver software option.

Once you've completed the steps, if there's a newer version of the driver available will download and install automatically. (This process is similar to using Windows Update.)

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Hello HP,

1. Yes I am facing issues with the display when the driver tries to install.

2. I have not made any hardware changes, but I have made software changes of Windows Updates while I was trying to dodge the graphics card installation from happening.

3. Yes I have perfomed troubleshooting steps, but it takes me right back to the graphics card installation with a black screen.

Downloading the graphics from the drivers in support did not help at all. I'm still getting a black screen during the graphics installation.

HP Recommended

@Genesis123,

Thank you for the information.

I would like to know whether you are facing any issue with the display when using the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you download and install HP support assistant from the below link and install all the updates. HP support assistant will automatically download and install all the latest drivers available for your computer.

http://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/pl...

Here is how it is done.

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette wrote:

@Genesis123,

I would like to know whether you are facing any issue with the display when using the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you download and install HP support assistant from the below link and install all the updates. HP support assistant will automatically download and install all the latest drivers available for your computer.

http://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/pl...

Here is how it is done.

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Cheers!

Hello HP, no I am not facing any problems with the display when I use the computer. It's only the graphics card causing a black screen problem when I try to install it.

I do not see a graphics card installation for my pc inside of HP Support Assistant. I only saw an HP Wireless Button Driver installation.

HP Recommended

@Genesis123,

The driver you are trying to install it from Windows update may not be compatible with your computer. I recommend you using the drivers available on HP website.

Hope that answers your question.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@ HP which drivers from HP's website? If you're talking about the ones in support, driver & downloads I downloaded the one for Windows 10 (64-bit) for my system because that's what I'm currently using. The driver installation wasn't successful due to black screen. 

HP Recommended

@Genesis123,

Please let me know the product number for your computer and I will send you the link to download the driver.

I await a response at your earliest convenience.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@ HP my product number is E0L06UA#ABA.

HP Recommended

@Genesis123,

Below is the latest graphics driver available from HP for your computer.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72115.exe

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.