Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I've just bought this laptop. I really like it, but...all of a sudden, when working on battery, the screen dims and starts to flicker like crazy as soon as it it unplugged. It goes back to nomal only when plugged back in. Can someone help me please? thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@adahil

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the screen dims and flickers on the battery,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you reinstalled the battery drivers?
  • Did you check the power plan option/settings to change how the screen functions based on the battery or adapter connections?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 
  • Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 
  • Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 
  • Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Follow this path, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and move the slider to the right corner (full brightness).

(Example screenshot)

once done, un-plug the adapter and check if the brightness is good. 🙂

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer. I'm not sure about that.

First, I've had 3 separate HP tech guys remotely access my computer to try and fix it. After that, I was instructed do to a System Recovery, which I did. I suppose that would have the battery drivers reinstalled?

Second, these guys tinkered with the power plan/options, as you've suggested. I did it myself. But it didn't solve it. 

Third, as a last resource I will try now what you suggest, draining the battery to 15% and the subsequent steps.

At this point, maybe you can answer another question I have. I've noticed, after all this flickering and flashing, which at times was very violent, to say the least, that there's a visible grid of tiny dots on the screen (you have to look closely, but it's perceptible). I wonder if this was the product of the whole flashing/flickering episodes!! 

anyway, I'm at a loss here.

thanks again

HP Recommended

@adahil

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I am the Riddle_Decipher, back with a bag of solutions!

After going through your latest post, I'm curious to know:
Did you restart the computer, tap on F10 and check if these dots & flickering issues appear while you are on the BIOS screen? if not, please do it:

• If it doesn't appear on BIOS but it persists on windows, its a software issue, you may want to update the BIOS (could resolve the battery/dim issue as well), Chipset and Graphics card using the HP website: Click here to find and install the same.

• if it appears on the BIOS as well, I'm afraid we are dealing with an LCD failure and you'll need to check this: 

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

(The reason we are utilizing the private message now, is because the instructions are critical).

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I have the same problem with device. i also needed the solution. i already posted but no solutions comes up.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks again for your answer. At least, I feel supported, which is nice at this point...

I'm still trying to drain the battery as you've instructed! (whatever my eventual verdict on this equipment, at least I'll have to say it does have a great battery life!). The problem is, it won't drain because the screen is so dark now when unplugged that I cannot use it.  I've left it on the entire night (I'm on Chile right now), with YouTube videos playing on a loop, but I'm afraid it went to sleep as well. So now I still have 69% battery.  😞

I did the Bios thing, power on and F10. It didn't flicker. But I wanted to leave it a little longer on that state, to see if something changes. So I ask: can I do that? (leave it on the Bios screen for a while longer). I'm sorry if the question is silly, I really know nothing about the workings of computers.

I'm afraid the display shows the tiny dots grid, even while on the Bios screen. I wish I could show you how they look, the dots (more like speckles, but on a regular grid, lines running through the entire screen, evenly separated). Like this, but even tinier:

. . . . . . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

So, I was wondering. Since the battery won't go, can I go ahead and try the second solution you've suggested, in the private message? (I haven't opened it yet). 

I really do appreciate you bearing with me and all your help. Not sure where you are in the world, but I hope you see this soon and give me the green light on the Bios thing and on going ahead and trying the other solution.

cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi there. You were very king to me before, so here I am again to request your help.  This is rather longish:

Case Order Number: BLVG642101

Serial Number: 5CG8161NCJ

Repair Date: 07/24/2018

Defective Commodity: LTOUCH PANEL KIT: No Video

Laptop bought on Amazon

Order Placed: April 27/2018

Amazon.com order number: 113-6347344-2931460

Order Total: $1,076.85

Shipped on April 30, 2018

HP ENVY Thin & Light Laptop - 13" FHD Touch, Intel Core i7-8550U, 8GB RAM,

256GB SSD, Windows 10 (13-ad120nr, Silver)

Condition: New

My HP Envy laptop failed after two weeks of use. I’ve spoken extensively to your customer service representatives before I was instructed to send it back to the U.S. (I am in Chile right now) for repair, as the defective part was not available in Chile—even though the guarantee states it is a Global Warranty.

I was lucky enough to have a friend from the U.S. visiting at that moment. That friend took it back to the U.S., where the equipment was supposedly “repaired”. After much waiting, I’ve found another friend to bring it back to Chile. I finally got it back yesterday, August 29th.

So, you can imagine my frustration and anger when I realize the display, while working, came back with the visible grid of dots that I reported as part of the problem! I mean, nobody heard what I’ve said? My complaints? I went out today to the HP store, where they’ve showed me other equipment with touchscreens. None has the grid of dots, which was not there the first two weeks I’ve used the product, before the display failed. Plus, the display now has dead pixels, which were not there before neither. I ask you: was the defective part really replaced?

What am I supposed to do now? I’ve paid $1,000 on this laptop, I don’t think it’s a disposable machine, is it? I do request you help me solve this, as I can’t work with the display as it is. By way of a solution, I inform that I’m going to be in Brazil for the entire month of September. I wonder if they have the part over there to really change it and fix once and for all this problem.

I’m a repeated HP customer. But I’m really reconsidering my loyalty to this brand.

Sincerely,

Ada Felix

HP Recommended

I would not buy this laptop again. I’m very sad to say that — I can’t replace it easily it, it wasn’t cheap, and now I’m stuck with it.

The display crashed within less than a month. At my own expense, I had to send it back to the U.S. to have the part replaced — even though the warranty is supposedly “global”. When I got it back from HP (actually, I had a friend bring it back to me, as I am overseas), part of the problem was still there, which makes me wonder if they replaced the display at all. I was repeatedly told by someone on their “social media” team that they would look into the matter — to no avail. Nobody ever called me back. No luck either with other customer service lines. Poor service.

I am a repeat HP customer. Having bought this laptop, I feel cheated on my loyalty. It will be my last HP, for sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.