Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Purchased Probbok 4530S. Win 7. I keep having teh screen print/size resolutiom change when using the touchpad. The pointer seems to "stick" and then when I move it, the screen will either get very smaller or larger. I continually have to hit ctrl + or - to get the screen size back to "normal". Is this something to do with the touchpad settings or pointer? Its making me nuts..

Bruce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

By golly, I think that may be it...Pinch Zoom! I have disabled that, as well as "Allow theme to change mouse pointers" under Pointers tab. I am playing with it now, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I will let you know if not...thanks for the awesome help, Dragon Fur !

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Edits 21-Nov-2011:

Content Removed - I misread your Post, Bruce.  Apologies.

I believe now you are referring to print/text in Firefox or Internet Explorer (and not text or items on the Desktop). 

I'll return if I find the answer on why text size is on the browser changing without your deliberate intervention.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Correct, its the screen in Firefox..the entire page gets bigger (or smaller). It seems that the mouse/pointer "stalls" then changes to the 4 arrows...maddening.

HP Recommended

Well, I'm running ancient FF 3.6.24 (due to SimplePass) on one system, another has new FF... both have similiar setups for text rendering.  I've heard that if you don't let the pages "do their thing" that fonts can go a bit nuts.

There are a couple of FireFox extensions that can affect resolution, too - you'd know if you had those installed...

I do reset a page on occasion with Cntl-ALT-CntrMouse-Roll to adjust the page as I like it but the page doesn't suddenly reset itself on me.  Smiling.

FireFox - the example is old FF - the newer version path will be different, the idea is the same...

FireFox 3.6.24 -- Tools -> Options -> Content -> Content -> Advanced

CHECKed  ->"Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above

Here's a shot of FF 3.6.24 font setup. I don't recall setting it up, but it works OK.

firefox_options_text.PNG

So, if it's not the fonts, it has to be another one of the extensions.  Like I said, you'd know if you have them installed.  On the other hand, if one of the extensions is not behaving itself, you may not be aware of THAT.  Might be worth checking!

I hope this helps!

Click The Kudos for Thanks!       

Set Accept as Solution if it's Fixed!

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I appreciate all the help and insight, but I do not believe this has anything to do with the browser. It happens in IE as well, and on non websites. I feel it is something to do with teh touch pad sensitivity. Its almost as if the pointer gets "stuck".Then I get the pointer turns to the 4 arrows and the entire screen shrinks or get larger.

HP Recommended
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's been more than a couple of years since fonts issues have been an issue in normal browsing. I will look around a bit and come back only if I find something useful. Smiling.
Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I will keep hunting as well...its making me nuts.

HP Recommended

First thought of the evening was: 

Device Reset (from Mouse Properties page) - seems unlikely.  I like the settings page below...

EDITS 23-Nov-2011  11:11 p.m.

My latest contribution is below.  This seems a likely candidate.

TouchPad Settings:  "Pinch Zoom"

It's been reported that if this setting is too sensitive the screen can flash (zoom) out of control.  Some folks opt to disable the feature entirely.

Control Panel -> Mouse -> Device Settings -> Highlight the Touchpad... -> Settings

touch_pad_settings1.PNG

touch_pad_settings_zoom.PNG

If this doesn't do it, another thing to try might be to update (or just reinstall the driver).  This is another long shot, but drivers are fussy things and sometimes do respond to being kicked.

I hate stuff that doesn't work.  I've been trying to help someone with their sound for awhile now - finally broke the sound on my system pounding on it (not literally :smileyhappy:).  Awesome.  (Not that it makes me happy, but it's easier to test it when it's broken.  Smiling.)

Good Luck!

I'm in the Good Old USA - Happy Thanksgiving if you are, too!

I hope this helps.

Click The Kudos for Thanks!       

Set Accept as Solution if it's Fixed!

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

By golly, I think that may be it...Pinch Zoom! I have disabled that, as well as "Allow theme to change mouse pointers" under Pointers tab. I am playing with it now, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I will let you know if not...thanks for the awesome help, Dragon Fur !

HP Recommended

I cant seem to click pon Kudoss once  replied, but you get them. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.