Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-bp0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently begun getting ghosting on my screen. Vertical ghosting appearing above/below primarily white/bright windows on darker background. After it has begun, it stays there until a reboot. I have updated to latest graphic drivers and bios, but no difference. According to the other people with same issue, it seems to require a hardware swap.

As my warranty was 12 mths and it went out by october 2018, what can be done? Considering other people having the exact problem, it seems to be a problem that should be covered even though 12 mths has gone by.

Some system details:

hp_support.png

Some links to other people with same issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Screen-has-started-ghosting-windows/t...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Pfk1uru8I

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@niknas Welcome to HP Forums Community!

Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction.

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help: 

Perform a power reset (no data loss) using these steps: Click here, proceed to next step if this works

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: Click here to watch a video

If the issue appears on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If they don't appear on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link: Click here

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue,
use this link for details on performing the recovery: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle and thank you for the response!

The "problem" is that in BIOS mode, I can't see the issue due to not being able to move  windows around. As long as I have a relatively small movements on screen, the issue is not noticable. I see it when there is a contrast such as a brighter window moving on a darker background.

I can't replicate the issue on a secondary screen.

I did a re-install a couple of weeks back due to this issue and that the Windows Hello camera wasn't working anymore. The camera is working in regular mode, just not for login. That dind't help for either issue.

The power reset did not help.

I do have the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers (F44 rev a and Intel Chipset 10.1.1.38 Rev.A).

I'll run the diagnostics and get back after they've finished.

Thanks,

Niklas

HP Recommended

@niknas If an alternate monitor/secondary screen is connected and yet it doesn't have the same errors, this is most likely a hardware malfunction within the internal display and I I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.