Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk2000 Laptop PC (2P1Z7AV)

I have a HP Pavillion Gaming 15-dk2000 Laptop PC . One year old.
There are two user accounts on the PC. Mine (admin) and my partners.

My account is working fine, but when my partner uses hers the keyboard and the mouse and touchpad respond really slowly- so it would seem that the problem is within her account settings. She does not have administrator authorisation.

What has gone wrong and how do I fix it, please?

I am in the last 2 days of my guarantee- and of course it is the weekend and real-person HP support is not available.
Many thanks!

J

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Update.
May be the WIndows Update. Problems started 14 sept. Apparently the Windows Update had already been downloaded but hadnt been installed yet. Then the notification to update. Once the new Windows software was installed I started getting error messages from other apps including Firefox. I uninstalled (rolled-back) the update, but Firefox was then unuseable and I had to completely re-install that too.

All worked properly again for 24hrs- both accounts functioned perfectly.

Now the non-admin account is suffering again from very slow (built-in) keyboard and pointer- and slow wireless mouse. My admin account seems normal.
Apparently the laptop turned 1 year old  two days ago (16 sept)- so Im desperate to get this fixed under goodwill from HP.

Please advise...

HP Recommended

Hi @japalling,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to assist you.

I see that you are facing an issue with your Laptop.

Kindly refer to the steps below to fix the issue.

Please install all the pending updates for the Windows operating system following the below steps.

go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates. If the upgrade is available for your device and you want to proceed, download and install it. 

Also, refer to the steps on this link to update the BIOS and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Make sure you keep only the charger plugged in while updating the BIOS for your PC.

Click on the + sign next to BIOS and then download the file.

Open the file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello Irwin6.

Sorry, this has not helped.

The problem arises the moment we try to sign in to the second, non-administrator account on the laptop. Even at the log in screen- at the username screen all is well, but when the password is asked for- the keyboard and pointer go slow even before log-in is completed. I even tried removing the second account and creating a new one- both with and without Admin priveleges. Nothing works. It is all since the KB5031217 .NET (install 18 sept) and KB5030219 Cumulative updates (install 17 sept)

I my only option to roll-back and pause further updates until this is resolved?

We are a one-laptop family and my second user needs their account to work correctly.

HP Recommended

Hi @japalling,

I am sorry to hear that the above steps did not help much.

As the issue started post installing the windows updates.
Please go ahead roll back or uninstall the recent updates and pause updates on your PC for a couple of weeks.

Once the issue is resolved from Microsoft for the updates, you can enable automatic updates again.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

It's frustrating when technical issues arise, especially when your warranty is about to expire. In this case, it seems like the problem is isolated to your partner's user account, which suggests it might be related to specific settings or configurations within that account. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check for Malware or Background Processes:

• Run a full system scan using reliable antivirus software to rule out any malware or unwanted background processes that might be causing system slowdowns.
  2. User Account Settings:

• Go to "User Accounts" and click on "Manage another account."
    • Select your partner's account and choose "Change the account type." Ensure it's set as a "Standard User" rather than an "Administrator."
  3. Performance Options:

• Under your partner's account, check the system's performance options.
    • Right-click on "This PC" or "My Computer" and select "Properties."
    • Click on "Advanced system settings" on the left.
    • Under the "Advanced" tab, click on the "Settings" button within the "Performance" section.
    • Ensure that "Adjust for best performance" is selected, or you can choose "Adjust for best appearance" for a balance between performance and visuals.
  4. Startup Programs:

• Some startup programs can slow down the system. Check the startup programs for your partner's account.
    • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
    • Go to the "Startup" tab and disable unnecessary startup programs.
  5. Update Drivers:

• Ensure that all drivers for the keyboard, mouse, and touchpad are up to date. You can usually find driver updates on the HP website.
  6. Temporary Files Cleanup:

• Use the built-in "Disk Cleanup" tool to remove temporary files and free up disk space.
  7. Create a New User Account:

• If the issue persists, consider creating a new user account for your partner. This can help rule out account-specific issues.
  8. System Restore:

• As a last resort, if none of the above steps work, you might consider using System Restore to revert the system to a state when it was working fine. Be cautious, as this will undo recent changes to the system.

Remember to back up any important data before making significant changes to your system. If the issue remains unresolved and your warranty is about to expire, it's a good idea to contact HP support as soon as possible, even if it means waiting until the weekday. They might be able to offer further assistance or extend your warranty if the issue turns out to be hardware-related, for further detail: om productions

HP Recommended

Thanks @Slinde.
In response to your points-

1. Run all available options in Windows Defender- ok

2. Standard user- ok

Have also tried deleting and creating a new second user account, but the problems return each time.

3. Not tried- seeing as it doesnt work for any newly-created second, non-admin user account.

4. Also not checked. Why would it only affect the second account and not the Admin account also?

5. Up to date. Bios also updated.

6. Done

7. Still doesnt work for newly-created non-admin accounts.

8.  Yes- this will be my next step. I have left questions in the Community here; with HP directly and with the Windows community and support (why is there no support after 6p.m.?- dont companies know that most of us have day jobs?!)

Ive also tried rolling-back updates and freezing new updates, but still no improvement.

If I dont get a working solution I will have to use System Restore- and then have to deal with the 20-plus 3rd-party apps I will have to re-install in the aftermath. Incidentally- all these apps are up to date and none of them are in use in the second user account.

HP Recommended

Update.

Microsoft said it was a problem with HPs Omen Gaming Hub that was causing the mouse to not function correctly.

I uninstalled Omen, restarted the computer and tried to create a basic secondary user account again. Still no joy. Once the password screen is reached to sign in on the Microsoft account for the new user, everything slows right down again.

Now trying system restore.

May have to get a HP tech to remote assist me with a clean boot and prying out which program/service is causing the issue.

My brain is fried with this.

HP Recommended

System restore didnt go further back than KB5031217. At least I got access to the second account back, but still not working correctly.

Microsoft suggest a clean boot. I have done this. With all non-microsoft services disabled, the problem persists.

This must mean its a Microsoft /Windows problem?

What now?

HP Recommended

Finally solved!

After 4hours online with a HP Support Assistant and Bios and updates all re-installed, we finally ended up having to perform a complete reset of the laptop and a full cloud-download re-install of Windows 11.

This has fixed the slow second user account issue.

We still dont know why the problem occurred, but it is at least resolved. 

Very grateful to the online support assistant for their patience and clarity during a long afternoon before the computer.

And it looks like it was a Windows issue instead of a HP or Omen issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.