Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Clickpad buttons not working but mouse cursor moves via the clickpad (Touchpad). Tried delete Touchpad in Device Manager & reboot. All systems up to date. No tactile feedback from buttons. Is this software or hardware? If both buttons inoperative, wouldn't this be software? Using external wireless USB mouse which works fine.

Any comments will be appreciated - love this machine!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JackOB777

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

I understand that your HP notebook ClickPad not working correctly. To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (Refer to the removable and sealed battery)
BIOS default:(do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and    Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo-Lake

Thank you for responding.

The buttons stopped working about three weeks ago. No software updates. No software added.

I pressed the left button, received the usual tactile feedback, but when I pressed it again, nothing. No feedback, no computer response. (The buttons failed while operating.  - worked-  then didn't work) The mouse cursor moves as usual, Clickpad buttons - no tactile feedback, no reaction. Have added  a Logitech USB wireless mouse to function.

Performed all suggested steps. Held Power button 30 seconds to power off, loaded BIOS Setup Defaults, Exit(ed) Saving Changes. Rebooted, removed USB mouse - no change.

Per Device Manager:

Synaptics SMBus Touchpad (installed)

driver date: 9/21/2018

Driver version: 19.5.10.75

"The device is working properly"

HP assistant test showed cursor working normally.

Left and Right buttons did not work - had to let the test time out to conclude the test.

Suggestions? Comments?

Again, thank you for reviewing this problem.

JackOB777

HP Recommended

@JackOB777

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. The last thing I can suggest trying to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Problem Solved

Determined the problem was hardware (Touchpad) because it stopped suddenly– left click worked – then clicked again and it did not work. There was no tactical or audio feedback when button was pressed.

Replaced Touchpad for $60. Ebay: “new” Touchpad - $52. Harbor Freight: Precision Screwdriver Kit (with Torx #5, and Phillips #0 screwdrivers) - $8, small magnetic bowl (to hold the tiny screws) -$2.

Watched UTube video for “Replacing Touchpad on HP x360”. Tedious work – Note: two screws on the back cover are longer than the rest – so, note their placement. Note: pay attention to the procedure for unlatching then relatching the connector for the flat conductor cable. Also, note the little line on the flat cable near the end. This line should be up next to the connector if the cable is inserted properly. In addition, while the cover is off, use compressed air to blow lint out of the cooling fan mechanism.

Now, I am going to have a beer – saved $1,000 for a new HP computer.

HP Recommended

@JackOB777

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.