Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Tilt Pen - 2MY21AA#ABL

I recieved an HP Tilt pen with my Spectre laptop but I've never been able to use it because there appers to be no off switch and the battery discharges very quickly.  That means every time I pick it up its completely dead and effectively useless.

Does anyone know if there's a way to switch this thing off?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@thescouselander

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to help. 

I understand that you have received an HP Tilt Pen with your HP Spectre series laptop. I read that the pen does not have an off switch and this way the battery drains out quickly. 

During my research, I came across this Youtube video. At 2 minutes and 47 seconds, it explains how to turn off the Bluetooth function on the pen. If the Bluetooth is on, then the chances of the battery draining is faster.

NOTE: This is a third party link and I suggest you to ignore any ads. 

Click here to access the specifications of the tilt pen.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to keep me posted.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
I can't really see how that helps. The video shows how to pair the pen bit not to switch it off (unless I missed something).
HP Recommended

@thescouselander

Glad to have you back.

You may press the button (on top of the stylus) for 3 seconds (the same way you'd set the device up to pair) and the light goes off. I assume it's switched off that way.

Hope this works. Let me know. 

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks, you got it in the end.  What is not obvious is that there is a very small indicator light that is only visible if the end of the pen is twisted into the lock position.  Once that is visible holding the button down seems to provide different indications after a long button press including what appears to be an off indication.

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@thescouselander

You're most welcome. 🙂

I'm glad you have figured it out, Appreciate your efforts and patience. 

Take care! 

HP Recommended

Why can't HP just give us a decent instruction manual? - It's not like we aren't paying enough for these devices.

HP Recommended

There is User Guide at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05941803.  It could definitely be more "decent".

As best I can tell from the User Guide, if the status light is off, it means the Tilt Pen is in Pen (drawing) mode and it is charged.  I don't think it means the pen is off.  Here are the other statuses according to the User Guide:

Solid blue
  The pen is in pairing mode.
Blinking blue
  The pen has successfully paired.
Blinking green
  The pen is in presentation mode.
Blinking red
  The battery charge level is low.
HP Recommended

So how the heck do you push down the darn botton is the pen is twisted to the unlock position in order to see the freaking light?  

I've tried pressing down the button for 3 sec with the cap twisted and locked?  The freaking led can only be seen when the cap is pulled up and charging

So unintuitive and frustrating.  I should have save a few bucks and gotten the stock pen!

HP Recommended

It looks like this original mesage has had several thousand views. I have the same problem. Each time I pick up the pen, it has no charge.

After a month I have still not managed to fathom this. 

I spoke to HP Support who said "the pen is small so it discharges quickly". But I don't buy that argument. A pen which has been fully charged, used for three minutes and then is off should work again a few days later. If it's discharging it's because it's doing something ... which it shouldn't be doing!!!

One thing I did get confirmation over is that the pen can be charged with the same charger as the laptop. I was fearful of blowing the pen so had been using a phone USB C charger.

Perhaps everyone with this problem who visits these pages should add a comment or vote up this sort of issue and then we can try to get an answer?

With love

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.