Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 11 x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I re-installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on my x360 laptop - so I have version 1709.

Prior to the re-install the touch-screen was working fine but now I am missing the HID-Compliant Touch Screen in Device Manager - I have run HP Assistant and SoftPaqDownload Manager - HP and Microsoft apps seem to be telling me everything is fine...but the screen doesn't respond to touch. 

Does anyone have a specific link to a file that will enable me to add the right device driver to Window 10 Home 64 bit to make it recognise the touch screen?

I don't need links to the HP Driver Support page or the Microsoft Support page - I have downloaded and run everything either of them offer. On the off-chance that it might be a graphics driver issue I eventually managed to update that by searching to the folder with the inf file in it...despite the fact the softpaq (SP72369) itself said the minimum requirements were not met and refused to run.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @umxp02,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the touchscreen not working after installing Windows 10. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you.

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you check if the touchscreen works in Bios?
  • Did you run diagnostics on the touchscreen?

Let’s start with performing a hard reset to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue: 

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps: 

1. Turn off the computer. 

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station. 

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment. 

6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices. 

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

10. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers. 

For now please try these steps:

• Please run the component tests on the touchscreen from this link: https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03467259  to determine if there is a hardware failure with the computer. Please follow the option “Running the UEFI Component Tests” Please run the touchscreen diagnostics and if it fails please make a note of the failure code.
  • If the Touch screen isn't appearing on the diagnostics,  

I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer).  

Second, enable the touch screen driver in Device Manager: 

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager. 

2. Expand the Human Interface Devices heading. 

3. The touch screen device is labeled HID-compliant touch screen, or similar. Right-click the touch screen device. 

4. If the option to enable the device is included in the menu, click Enable. 

If the Enable option does not appear in the menu, continue to the next step: 

1. Reinstall the touch screen driver in Device Manager 

2. Install Windows updates 

3. Update the BIOS and graphics driver 

4. Configure the touch display 

5. Perform a touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI 

6. Adjust the power management settings for your touch screen 

7. Reset your computer 

8. Perform a Microsoft System Restore 

9. Perform an HP System Recovery 

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the long list of things to try - I tried to reply yesterday but for some reason my login was not working...

Anyway - Yes the touch-screen does work in the BIOS test program and there was no fault found. The touch screen works if I boot into Ubuntu from a USB key...so I'm pretty sure this is NOT a hardware issue.

Neither HP nor Intel nor Microsoft think there are any updates needed to any driver according to their automatic checking programs.

As I said before there is not HID-Compliant Touch Screen appearing in Device Manager....how do I make Windows notice that the screen is touch-capable?

HP Recommended

Hi @umxp02,

Thanks for the update.

As I understand touchscreen seems to be working fine in the Bios, which definitely looks like a software or driver issue.

As you have mentioned that the HID-Compliant touch screen is not listed in device manager. 

If the issue started to happen recently, I would suggest you could try to perform a system restore to a previous date where it was all working fine, for more details, please use this link: HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

If this does not help, I would suggest you could try to perform a Microsoft push button reset recovery from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289 it usually does not cause you to lose data.

If this does not work, the only option left would be to perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from this link: HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10) 

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I said I had recently re-installed Windows 10 perhaps I should have mentioned that I DISKPART'd the whole drive back to nothing and re-installed from a USB key created from Microsoft Media Creation tool....so the machine was basically flattened and has only the drivers and software on it that HP and Microsoft (and Intel) think it should have....

Is there really not a simple driver package ("service pack") you can point me at that will add touch screen to Windows 10? I'm willing to edit the registry if you can tell me which key to add/modify/delete.

I'm guessing that having deleted everything the HP recovery options won't actually be there - when I pressed Esc during boot and then F11 it just started Windows...

HP Recommended

Hi @umxp02,

After reviewing your post, I believe you have tried to perform a recovery using Microsoft media creation tool, which is not HP Recovery media. This could be one of the possible issues with the PC.

I would suggest you go through this link:  HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The device is out of warranty and I don't want to pay £42.25 to get HP recovery media for the device which will put it back to Windows 8.1 and may not in the end lead to a working Windows 10 installation anyway - given it's a driver issue.

I may try downloading the drivers for 8.1 and see if there's anything I can do with them but if that doesn't work I will either do without the touch screen or install Ubuntu

It seems pretty poor in this day and age that automatic tools don't install the right drivers in the first place and even worse that a moderated "Support Forum" cannot provide a working driver pack or instructions on how to enable functionality that should clearly available given there is no hardware issue.

I'm not sure where the ownership of providing the functionality lies but both Intel and Microsoft point to HP.....

That said thanks for you help so far - if I get it going I will let you know how.

HP Recommended

Greetings @umxp02, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, please do provide the exact product number of your computer so that I look into this further. Click here

If the drivers for your computer is not available on HP website, you can hope that Microsoft provides a generic driver or use HPSA to find a driver for your computer. Click here

Keep me posted. 

Disclaimer: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. You can change the configuration at your own risk.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.