Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 17 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just recently purchased the newest Omen laptop after my old laptop broke and I've been encountering a problem that is really quite frustrating. Some background: this is BRAND new, I have quite literally just got it out of the box and updated all drivers and such before creating this thread. I also have no external mouse/keyboard plugged in - I am using purely the Omen laptop.

As for the issue:

It seems that, whenever I type on my keyboard, the mouse cursor freezes and I cannot move it for a second or two. This is only a slight annoyance regularly, but can become a huge pain when trying to play games (or really do anything other than browse the web). Is this a hidden setting somewhere that I need to toggle? I assume this can't possibly be a hard-wired feature that I'm stuck with.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated! 🙂

Update: After doing some further research online, I found that others have had this same issue but have managed to solve it by reducing/removing the 'Palm Check' setting in the Synaptics touchpad settings. However, I've searched my computer for the Synaptics software and nothing has come up? This just confuses me more; how can I be having a problem with a software I don't even have?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi@Zaephyr, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the touchpad wherein the cursor freezes.

This issue could occur if the BIOS or Touchpad drivers are not updated.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

You may also follow the steps in the link to check if the issue is with the mouse or keyboard: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 

If the issue persists, then you may restore the system to a previous point by checking the link: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @Praveenbv, unfortunately all of your suggestions have had no effect on the problem. This is an issue I faced with my old OMEN laptop, but I was able to reduce the severity of it through the Synaptics touchpad settings. However, this newer version of the laptop seems to not have the Synaptics software, so I am unable to fix it this way.

I would also like to reiterate that this laptop is BRAND new, and I have been having the issue ever since I took it out of the box. Therefore, restoring the laptop to a previous state would not remedy the problem.

I believe the issue I'm having is actually an implemented mechanic within the laptop, designed so that you don't accidentally move the mouse cursor while typing (as you could hypothetically accidentally run your wrist over the touchpad while typing). However, as OMEN laptops are designed for gaming, this is an essentially useless mechanic as it completely ruins your ability to play games unless you connect an external mouse to override the problem.

Surely there's a setting/toggle somewhere on the laptop which will allow me to disable this function that stops me from being able to use the touchpad while typing?

HP Recommended

@Zaephyr,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

I actually tried this exact thing a few days ago, but unfortunately it didn't seem to fix the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @Zaephyr,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.