Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I hit the Caps Lock key, a grey box in the middle of the screen pops up to tell me whether the Caps Lock is on or off. It's very annoying and unnecessary. How do I turn this off? It's disruptive. 

I've tried going through the Ease of Access features and turned off all the settings that would've allowed any notifications- sound and visual- and this notification still pops up. How do I turn it off?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Lattouf,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you need assistance with turning off the notification from your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy and technically competent customers like you. We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

As you have mentioned in your post that you have tried to check the settings under Ease of access center and still having the issue Don't worry as I have  a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

When was the last time it worked?

Did you attempt to reinstall the software?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please ensure you backup the registry before making any changes on the PC:

Here’s how to turn off Caps Lock notification on HP computers:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to bring up the Run box. Type regedit and hit Enter.
  2. After the Registry Editor opens, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Hewlett-Packard\HP HotKey Support
  3. In right pane, double-click on the CapsLockOSD entry and set its value to 0.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I registered an account just to say thank you! I'll save those reg keys and keep them handy.

HP Recommended

I try to do this but after all of that i cannot find the Hp HotKey Support option

HP Recommended

Have not been helped

HP Recommended

How do I do this in Windows 7?

HP Recommended

I've been trying everything under Windows 7.

The only SOLUTION that I have found is: to install older version of the HP HotKey Support.

In my case that is the version 4.0.15.1 Rev. A. There is NO ANNOYING CAPS LOCK MESSAGE still integrated, which is ALL WE WANTED,edited*!!!

Here's a link to the software: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52960.exe

Cheers,

Todor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.