Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 850 G8 Notebook PC (1G1Y1AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm using "HP EliteBook 850 G8" for my work and a stationary PC at home. For comfortable usage of a single set of keyboard, mouse, speakers and webcam, I've purchased "MSI Optix MPG321QRF-QD" monitor with built in USB KVM, Displayport and USB-C DP alt mode port.

I've got a problem with USB-C DP alt mode and the HP notebook. The notebook officially supports DP alt mode in its Thunderbolt ports. The USB-C cable is a certified DP alt mode which was included with a monitor.

The notebook recognizes the connected monitor and its exact characteristics, but the monitor shows "No signal" message. To overcome the issue, I have to power cycle the monitor, and only then the video would appear.

First I thought that issue is with the monitor, so I've contacted the MSI support. But then I've borrowed another notebook of other brand, it didn't have any issues. Then I've borrowed an HP Thunderbolt G2 docking station, and also connected the monitor to a docking station USB-C DP port and also connected my HP notebook to the Thunderbolt cable of a docking station. Such configuration didn't have any issues.

I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates, latest drivers from "HP Support Assistant" and the latest BIOS. I've also tried turn on and off "DP alt mode high resolution" in the BIOS.

It's definitely BIOS/drivers problem. Please assist.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.