Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-d4000 (4C803AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have encountered the following problem and I don't know if there is a solution or alternative via software.

I have the HP 15s-fq4xxxns laptop which has 1 x SuperSpeed ​​USB Type-C 5 Gbps input. I bought the hp m34d monitor precisely to be able to have the USB HUB between the laptop (Connecting the USB-C DP cable) and a desktop computer (connecting the USB-A).

To my surprise, I identify that the USB-C of my laptop does not have the option to transmit video (it is SS and not DP), but even so, connecting the USB-C does allow me to share the USB hub, so connecting the HDMI to the laptop I achieve what I want.

The problem is that when I turn on the laptop, the monitor is always waiting on the "USB-C" input instead of the "HDMI" input, so I have two problems:

1. The laptop is trying to extend the screen by USB-C cable.

2. The screen always puts HDMI inactive.

If I disconnect the USB-C and force extend the screen again, the HDMI works correctly, and once I reconnect the USB-C I get the error that it is incompatible but it allows me to have the USB Hub connected.

Is there a way at the software or configuration level of the laptop, Windows or the screen, to solve this? That is, make the laptop not try to send video over USB-C (or the screen) to avoid this interaction.

Thank you very much,

David.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@David_Hernandez 

I don't know what is your HP 15s-fq4xxxns machine, it could be one of the following machines

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15.6-inch-laptop-pc-15-d4000/2100852826/model/2100852837/pro...

For example

HP Laptop 15s-fq4010ns

It SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate port which does NOT support Alt mode nor Power Delivery. You can NOT use it to

• Charge your machine
  • Connect to an external monitor with/without hub/dock/adapter

Software won't solve the problem. If you wish to connect 2 external monitors (only), you can use

Monitor 1: HDMI direct cable

Monitor 2: Using a Displaylink Certified USB-A to HDMI adapter such as

https://www.amazon.com.au/CableCreation-Adapter-Windows-Compatible-2560x1440/dp/B013G4CJM8

For more connectivity, please use

True Universal Docking Stations

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @Bahnien,

Right now I have the laptop and the monitor connected using HDMI (for video) and USB-C (for USB HUB).

I want to have the USB HUB integrated in my laptop using the USB-C. Do I have any options? 

Thank you,

David.,

HP Recommended

@David_Hernandez wrote:

... I want to have the USB HUB integrated in my laptop using the USB-C. Do I have any options? 

@David_Hernandez 

What do you mean integrated ? You have many options but they must MEET specs of my reply above.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So will I be able to connect my monitor using the USB-C connected to a USB-C to HDMI adapter, and have both the video signal + the signals from the USB hub going into the laptop's HDMI port?

If so, I guess I will have my issue solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.