Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop little more than  a year ago and out of warranty now. I don't think my HDMI port was ever working but did not get that fixed until now. Since that could be due to hardware failure, I am not spending time on the HDMI issue and working on alternate solutions for connecting the laptop to external monitor. 

My laptop has the USB C port and the user guide says "Connects a display device that has a USB Type-C connector, providing DisplayPort output".  Before buying the cable for this, I am trying to understand whether this is a USB C to a HDMI cable of USB C to a DisplayPort cable. Will both cables work? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ExtMonitor_HDMI 

Please try USB-C to DP and hope this work. I know many users have problem with USB-C (not Data Transfer Only) - HDMI

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ExtMonitor_HDMI 

Please carefully read the statement "Connects a display device that has a USB Type-C connector, providing DisplayPort output". Because you are planing to buy a new monitor therefore buy the one which has USB-C connector.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am planning to connect to my existing monitor which does not have USB C.  

The only two options available in my monitor are HDMI and DP port. I am trying to confirm if either of them would work by connecting to the USB C using the corresponding cable. 

HP Recommended

@ExtMonitor_HDMI 

Please try USB-C to DP and hope this work. I know many users have problem with USB-C (not Data Transfer Only) - HDMI

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I will buy the cable next week and update it here. 

HP Recommended

Has the usb-c to displayport cable worked?

HP Recommended

Yes, I was able to use the USB-C to Display port cable to connect to the external monitor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.