Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17t
Linux

My HP Envy 17t-ae100 just started displaying vertical lines on the screen.  It starts out as a 2 inch wide band that eventually takes over the screen.  Initially the laptop boots, but this will happen after it has been powered on for a few minutes.  This happens regardless of OS.  I have had it booted in Windows, Linux, and even the BIOS/UEFI diagnostic screen.  So it is not an installation/driver issue.

I tried taking it to the local HP service center, but they couldn't even get the bottom cover off, I had to remove it myself.  From what I can tell, the issue seems to be a display cable that is going bad.  Cable has the number SPS935939-001 on it.  This part is showing N/A on HPs parts website.  I have also tried the HP Authorized Part Resellers without much luck.

Are there any better options than going to ebay and hoping I don't get sold something questionable?

The laptop still works and I can remote into it, but makes it kind of useless as a laptop.  Hoping for another option than buying a new one.

20200527_231659.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I wanted to post an update since most people don't come back to update.

I ended up driving a couple hours north to another certified HP repair center who was able to get the repair done.  From what the repair tech at that location told me, only the 1080p FHD panel is available from HP Parts.  They had to get the 4k UHD panel from an HP Authorized Part Reseller.

Hope this helps somebody else trying to track this down.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DevLinux 

I understand your frustration in this, but we are only allowed to source HP on parts -- we're not in the business of searching the Internet for HP parts for folks.

That is something you would have to do on your own.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I wasn't expecting you to scour the internet looking for parts.  I was hoping that there was an official HP solution for this or that someone else had run into this issue and was able to fix it.

HP Recommended

I wanted to post an update since most people don't come back to update.

I ended up driving a couple hours north to another certified HP repair center who was able to get the repair done.  From what the repair tech at that location told me, only the 1080p FHD panel is available from HP Parts.  They had to get the 4k UHD panel from an HP Authorized Part Reseller.

Hope this helps somebody else trying to track this down.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.