Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having the same issues that everyone else is having with the HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx.  I brought this laptop for work on 7/14/2018.  it's not even 2 yrs old yet.  These vertical lines started happening in the beginning of 2020.  at first it was manageable & thought with updates it would fix itself.  over time it has gotten extremely bad.  my entire display starts to flicker & I have to literally restart the computer like 10 times to get the screen back to normal.  I also have to make sure to have it plugged in.  for some reason, if the computer is unplugged the screen doesn't go back to normal.  I've attached some pics below.  I tried to do a video but couldn't figure it out.   any way., I would really like for this computer to be fixed so I don't have to buy another one.  I really like this computer & it's ashamed this has happen only after one year & 10 months.  Please let me know if this is fixable.  With the current situation in the world, I'm working from home so I really need to know ASAP about this issue.   I need a reliable laptop & right now this almost $2k laptop is not it! thanks! not sure why pic is veritcal pic was taken hortiznot sure why pic is veritcal pic was taken hortizNot sure why it's vertical pic was taken hortizNot sure why it's vertical pic was taken hortizVideoCapture (2).jpg

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Nette1213 Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction.

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help: 

Perform a power reset (no data loss) using these steps: Click here, proceed to next step if this works

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: Click here for details.

If the issue appears on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If they don't appear on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link: Click here

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue,
use this link for details on performing the recovery: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I tried all the steps you suggested & none of it worked.  I still have the same issue.  This is a real disappointment.  I really thought I could get this fix with the steps given.  Now I need to get a new laptop ASAP because I need to work without these interruptions.  it literally takes up to 5 hours just to get my screen back to normal.  I have to constantly restart it.   Does new Spectre Gem cut 360 have these issues?  I hope not.   Was considering to purchasing one but I very hesitated.  I'm actually hesitate in purchasing another HP.  This is my 3rd HP & I had no real issues with the 2 previous ones (Pavilions).  They are older, bigger, thicker & the last one lasted me 5 yrs before showing signs of disruptions. I buy this beautiful Spectre over a year ago, & look at the issues it is giving me.  like I said, a REAL DISAPPOINTMENT!  HP please solve this issue or at least tell me, this is not fixable so I can move on to a better, quality laptop.  thanks!  

HP Recommended

@Nette1213 for me to help you, I'll need to know the results of the steps I suggested, is the line appearing on the BIOS as well? please elaborate.

And meanwhile, to answer your question, No this isn't something that happens on HP spectre Gem 360, I can't speak for all the products though, that's why we have the warranties in place and it could be repaired, accordingly! Once I know the results of the steps, I can help repair this one as well, so keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the lines & the screen is jumping around on the BIOS screen.  7/14/20 will be the official date that I've had this computer for 2 yrs.  can you please let me know if this can be fixed.

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

@Nette1213 To confirm the device doesn't have any extended warranties either? if yes, we may need to further analyze the device, check if the lines appear when the laptop is connected to an alternate monitor as well, if it doesn't appear on it, this would confirm that we have an LCD failure and the same will need to be replaced.
keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That was the first thing I checked for.  The lines & the screen flickering does NOT appear when connected to a monitor using the HDMI cord.  Confirming, this means this is a fixable issue, correct??  it's the LCD.  How long would it take to fix this? 

HP Recommended

@Nette1213 Yes, it's fixable, you have two options, you can either refer to the nearest authorized service provider or if you wish to replace the part on your own (DIY) I can get you the details you need, the part can be ordered via the HP Parts store, to get the part number compatible with your device, here's what I need:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

If you have an HP authorized service center near by, you should be able to take it to them and have it checked,

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

if I was to find a nearby service center, what do I need to say exactly when I call?  it's the LCD inside the computer or screen that is damaged?  I want to be specific so I'm not going back & forth on emails.  lol.  you have been a tremendous help & you are probably tired of me already.. lol..  plus I want to make sure they have the correct part avaiable. 

How much does the part cost?   

This an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch011dx, purchased in 2018 from a Best Buy.   I have the product # & serial # but not sure if i should provide this over this open forum.  

HP Recommended

@Nette1213 I appreciate people with curious minds asking the right questions, that said, I'm glad you've asked and here's all you need to know about the part compatible with your device (see screenshot below), also click here to access the HP Maintenance and service guide that contains assistance on all hardware related queries for your device.

More details available on Page. 60 Chapter 5 Removal and replacement procedures for authorized service provider parts

And yes, saying that you diagnosed the issue via the HP Community and confirmed its the LCD failure and you need to change the display assembly should be fine, also, in the off chance that you would like to indulge in some DIY, above are all the instructions you'll need and here's how you can order the part online:

you may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.