Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15ba055sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi All

I'm connecting my HP Notebook model 15ba055sa to a Philips 32PFL5404H using an HDMI cable.

The TV works perfectly using any of the three HDMI sockets with a Triax TR112 digital TV receiver.

With the laptop, though, I get a perfect picture, HD or otherwise, for about 5 - 10 minutes, after which the screen goes completely bright green for about 2 seconds and then continues but with drastically poor colour. The sound is unaffected. It doesn't matter whether it is Netflix, Youtube or a DVD.

Things that immediately restore the picture:

(1) Unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable, and

(2) exiting back to windows and restarting the application (sometimes)

Things that made no difference:

(1) Using a different HDMI cable

(2) Using different sockets on the TV

(3) Experimenting with the display settings on the Notebook.

This has exhausted the things I can think of myself but before I take the notebook back to Currys, I thought I'd look through this HP Forum. However none of the many suggestions I have seen will work.

Maybe someone out there has seen a similar effect . . . I'll keep an eye out for any replies!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, the HP laptop behaved impeccably when connected to an IYAMA PC display via the same HDMI cable as used previously.

So, there is an issue with the TV and laptop which is probably never going to be resolved due to cost reasons, and also due to the fact that there probably isn't anyone within 2 parsecs with either the hardware or software expertise to bebug the problem. I've debugged a lot of comms links in the past, and it ain't easy.

It remains, though, that since the Philips TV is the elder partner, that perhaps someone in HP didn't get around to checking the laptop for compatibility with "legacy" products like 7-year-old TVs.

Having said that, I'd say that the 10- 15 minute time before the effect showed up might be due to a thermal effect in the TV, who knows. I think I'll buy a fresh TV, but woe betide HP if the new one does the same trick!

Let the HP guys close this thread, sicne I'm not able to offer any more evidence.

Cheers

-Jim

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Jim_McLay,

Good Day. Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I reviewed the post regarding HDMI issues with the computer. Fabulous description and excellent troubleshooting were done by you. Great job! Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

For me to assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• DId you try to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers from device manager?

For now please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2fDpXGZ  after selecting the correct Operating system.

If it still does not fix the issue, please perform the relevant steps for HDMI related issues from this link: http://hp.care/2tlBlMq... regarding video issues. If there is no hardware issue with the computer, this should do the trick for you.

Also please check this link: http://hp.care/2fEmlF3 to connect an External Screen using an HDMI cable. check the options for HDMI. It could be helpful.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Well, I got through the minefield of updating the BIOS but when it came to the display drivers, I get all mother of misery, where an unzipping process started which finally asked me did I want to overwrite and existing file. So I clicked "YES" whereupon I got a message which indicated it had a probelm with another process using the file, and now I'm back to the beginning.

Well post again if I can get whatever it is to happen that should happen. Luckile I am retired and have plenty of time to waste.

- Jim

HP Recommended

Hi David,

It would appear that the graphics installer finds a load of files already in SWSetup/ and when I ask it to over-write these, it says another process is using them, and sends me back to Windows without further ado. I don't feel qualified to take the risk of deleting anything inside Program Files, so that's and end to it.

Given that this Notepbook bought in 2017 should be able to operate its HDMI port without any difficulty beyond making sure the Notebook and TV resolution  / picture size are correct, I think I'll take it back to Currys PC World and let them fix it. I and Joe Public should not need to be delving into "upgrades" etc on a brand new product using 8-year-old HDMI techniques.

Not-so-cheery

Jim

HP Recommended

Well, it dawned on me that the installer gives an option of where to put the extracted files, so I thought I'd create a new directory called "SWSeup_NEW" , and this time it has run and stopped without further kick-backs.

I opened "NEW" and found a Setup.exe file which I ran, and this time got a "Failed to access AMD Install Manager engine ".

Apparently it thinks there is another instance running, so I tried to open the Task Managet to see. I saw more proceeses running than I've had hot dinners, so closed down that avenue rapidly.

Definitely a Currys job.

HP Recommended

@Jim_McLay

Hi,

as @DavidSMP is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I understand that you would be taking the laptop to Currys for further investigation. Do let us know what happens. 

All the best and take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks Mkazi,

Currys is an 80-mile round trip so it will be next week before I can get anything going.

I will post the outcome here.

Cheers

Jim

HP Recommended

The only other thing I did was to use my Iyama PC display with the HP laptop, and it didn't show a fault for the short time I tried it. I'd have to run it for at least an hour to be sure; maybe there are HDMI issues, such as trying to use a new laptop with a 7-year old TV?

Will post again when I've tried this last resort.

- Jim

HP Recommended

Well, the HP laptop behaved impeccably when connected to an IYAMA PC display via the same HDMI cable as used previously.

So, there is an issue with the TV and laptop which is probably never going to be resolved due to cost reasons, and also due to the fact that there probably isn't anyone within 2 parsecs with either the hardware or software expertise to bebug the problem. I've debugged a lot of comms links in the past, and it ain't easy.

It remains, though, that since the Philips TV is the elder partner, that perhaps someone in HP didn't get around to checking the laptop for compatibility with "legacy" products like 7-year-old TVs.

Having said that, I'd say that the 10- 15 minute time before the effect showed up might be due to a thermal effect in the TV, who knows. I think I'll buy a fresh TV, but woe betide HP if the new one does the same trick!

Let the HP guys close this thread, sicne I'm not able to offer any more evidence.

Cheers

-Jim

HP Recommended

Hi @Jim_McLay,

I thank you for your quick response. I will be closing this thread for now as requested.

I hope things work great for you and the computer. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.