Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
240 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

After a fresh install of Windows 10, my web cam no longer works. It shows up under device manager as "HP TrueVision HD Camera". But no software or web based testing tool can get the camera to work. This is an administrative image of Windows 10 x64 Enterprise with all the correct drivers for the device and the identical image on a HP 240 G7 works fine for the web cam.

I have visited the support page for my laptop model but there are no drivers available for the web cam for this laptop. Can I simply get the latest driver for the Web Cam? 

I have seen many other questions asked with many basic troubleshooting steps such as uninstall the driver and let windows reinstall etc, those steps have been done repeatedly and the same driver 10.0.17763.1 released 21/06/2006 is installed which doesn't help. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@curtis-eact 

I would be willing to guess that you did not use an HP OEM version of Windows to do the reinstall, right?  If so, that is the issue because the webcam drive is built into the windows version you install. There is no separate driver for it.

Since your PC can not successfully do an internal factory reset, your only ways to accomplish this are the following:
- Factory reset using external HP image you make
- Factory reset using external HP image you buy

Each of these is discussed in some detail below ...

---------- Factory reset using external HP image you make ----------
HP provides a Cloud Recovery tool that you can use, together with a 32GB USB stick, to create your on HP reset media.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

This works the same as the factory reset described above.

---------- Factory reset using external HP image you buy ----------
For those PCs not supported by the Cloud Recovery, in some cases, HP offers Recover Media for sale. This can not be downloaded; instead, it must be ordered from HP.

HP Recovery Media is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities.

In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click &quot;Update&quot;.<br><br>If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the &quot;+&quot; symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Support.

HP contact info: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

If HP no longer carries the media you need, another site you should check for HP Recovery Media is: http://www.computersurgeons.com/

These work the same as the factory reset described above.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your response. And yes this machine was not rebuilt using a HP image as these are used in a corporate network, I manage the IT in 2 schools and 1 of them, a number of staff, use these devices for distance teaching their student during the Covid pandemic as we are currently in full lockdown here in the UK.

Is there no way to extract these drivers from the image? As you can imagine the vast majority of corporate users would reimage machines to their own prepped image via SCCM or MDT. 

If not possible then, I'll have to work around using the recovery image, it's not ideal as out of approximately 8 different makes and models of laptops, including the G7 (which works fine with extracted drivers) this is the only device I have this issue with.

Thank you for your informative response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.