Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 - 13-Ap0008nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

recently my Windows Hello stopped working (not the main point of this post) and after some investigation I have noticed that my camera doesnt seem to work properly. The picture has very strong purple tint and horizontal lines. See the screenshots below:

Normal view:

screen-purple-cam.png

Webcam completely covered with a paper notepad:

OD42_0-1605349343639.png

I tried reinstalling the drivers for the camera multiple times with no luck. The drivers I have tried were the ones installed by windows when clicking "update driver" in the device manager, rolling back to old drivers, and downloading the driver meant for my laptop from the HP website. I dont think the official HP driver installed correctly though because the command line script that launches after the driver is unpacked only pops up for like half a second and then nothing else seems to happen. I am running Windows 10 1909 and the HP driver says its for Windows 10 v1803 which could be why it doesnt seem to install properly. HP support assistant says there are no driver updates available.

I have also seen posts about purple camera tint caused by the IR camera in low light conditions, but I dont think this is my case because the picture is more that just tinted (lines) and stays purple in all light conditions and even if I completely cover the whole camera (so the IR camera can not interfere).

Can anyone help me fix my camera please? Do my screenshots look like this is a driver issue or is my camera HW faulty? Will there be a new webcam driver for Windows 10 1909 or is there something wrong with my machine if the driver doesnt seem to install properly?

Thanks,

Ondrej Vasicek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey, so everything magically fixed itself overnight. I guess that's how it goes with Windows....

No idea what changed, there were no windows updates that I know of, the laptop was just off for most of the day and now it works. Purple lines are gone and windows hello is working again.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey, so everything magically fixed itself overnight. I guess that's how it goes with Windows....

No idea what changed, there were no windows updates that I know of, the laptop was just off for most of the day and now it works. Purple lines are gone and windows hello is working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.