Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone

A year ago I bought a HP Spectre x360 13 (now it's running Windows 10 x64 Anniversary update edition).
I had no need to use the webcam until yesterday.

When used for the first time I was surprised by the very poor quality of the image. Even away from a window image was very bright (overexposed) and very grainy. I even moved PC location (to change light intensity) but quality still very poor without much detail. I appeared without any detail and it's awful. People who spoke to me by Skype mentioned that. With Youcam (Which I upadted) happened the same...

I searched forums and follow some advice. I realized that the webcam does not own drivers: PC use the native application YouCam5.

I've tried changing the resolution but the image remains with very poor quality (full of grain and very very bright even when I was 2 or 3 meters away from a window or too dark if I'm in the middle of the room).
Can you give me some guidance.

Will upgrade to Youcam 7 contribute to solve my problem or this could be hardware problem in built-in camera?

I am very grateful.
Thank you very much in advance

MC

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi MagCan,

Thank you for your query. Please remember when posting to include your exact model of HP notebook and not just the series as there are numerous models in a series. HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you have the anniversary build of Windows 10 installed. You tried using the webcam, but the image quality is very grainy and poor.  You have tried changing the lighting conditions, but there was no difference. Have you done all the Windows updates? Have you run the Windows troubleshooter? Have you run the HP Support Assistant?  Have you checked the software and driver page for your notebook for updated software? Here is a link to HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎 that should help. Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution”  to help other community members! To say thanks for the assistance, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

This response is not helpful.  HP must be aware of this issue, as it is all over the web.  Please respond whether: 

(1)  the webcam is simply of very poor quality, or

(2) the webcam in questions requires an upgrade, and if so, provide the detailed infromation about the upgrade.

Please note that the model is clearly stated, spectre x 360 13.  Please do not try our patience by asking for specific model numbers and similar types of disengenuous kicking the can down the road.

Answer the question above with 1 or 2, and if 2 provide the software, firmware, or whatever fix, including recommendation for servicing of this new machine.  I bought it two weeks ago.

HP Recommended

You've posted on a thread that i over two years old that was answered originally by someone who is now a former HP staffer.

If you have an issue, describe your symptoms you are experiencing with your system. Model numbers matter: there have been several generations of Spectre x360 13 inch and there are sometimes multiple camera options within a particular generation.

The general answer is that laptop webcams across the board are of mediocre quality, though there are a limited number of exceptions. Typically you get a 720p camera with not that brilliant light sensitivity, even on US$4000 uber-laptops. The are some specific examples that have other issues, such as colour casts under certain lighting conditions - for which there might be a firmware or driver fix.

I posted some more detailed comments about webcams in a previous thread (click).

HP Recommended

I was in the exact same situation. Got tired of fighting it and wasting time. So I spent $20 to fix it: https://youtu.be/8hK0lWU6fZk

HP Recommended

I know this is an older thread, but thanks for your comment. I have spent two years wondering how or if I can fix the almost laughably poor quality of my expensive HP Pavilion 17" screen laptop -- it's the worst camera and webcam quality I've had ... well, maybe ever. I've gone onto all sorts of HP forums, and get the bland, cheerful responses everyone on here gets: "oh, you're so intelligent to have tried everything you've already tried, but have you updated the BIOS, the drivers, the software and uninstalled and reinstalled the webcam?" I also get tired of the HP staffer acting as if this is the first time the issue has ever been mentioned by anyone. The simple fact is, it's a high-quality laptop with a horrible cheap camera and the issue comes up all over the internet and in most reviews. I can't imagine how cheap it must be, because any inexpensive clip-on webcam rivals the camera in quality. I resent the fact that I can't use the built in camera for anything other than facial recognition when logging in, but I give up, accept the fact that it's a junk camera and have taken your advice, purchased an inexpensive camera, and use that now. Thanks for the advice, I should've taken it two years ago.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.