Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-2230ew
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello dear community,

I've just formatted my notebook again and installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The problem is that system is unable to detect my graphics card - Radeon HD 7600M, which was working fine before. Device manager is showing it as a standard VGA graphics card. My notebook is also using Intel HD graphics 4000 and it's working fine after manually instaling required drivers. When I am trying to install drivers for Radeon, two things are happening:

- setup manager returns error message that installation process failed(I've even tried to edit "InstallManager.cfg" file and change "WorkaroundInstall=false" to true, setup manager installed everything(AMD catalyst, etc.), just not the driver

- as soon as setup manager is trying to detect my graphics card, blue screen appears and notebook is rebooting

It is pretty random which one of the above things will happen. I've tried installing few different drivers and nothing changed. I've also tried(in the device manager) to manually choose the location with the driver - Windows tells me that system knows it's the Radeon HD 7600M device, but cannot install the drivers.

During the format, I deleted ALL partitions and created new ones. I remember that there was a small partition(which I left untouched during the earlier notebook format), but this time I deleted it too. Maybe this partition had some important HP data which is causing this problem now?

I am also attaching a screenshot of my device manager:

device manager.jpg

On the screen you can see that I have two unknown devices(second one is the PCI unknown device) and my graphics - while Intel is fine, Radeon is detected as a standard VGA. I've tried many things how to install the drivers for it but I've run out of ideas. Looking for reply and hopefully - a solution 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here are the audio and unknown device drivers you need...

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56803.exe

This package provides the HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection Software (HP 3D Driveguard) for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection Software (HP 3D Driveguard) protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped, or is abruptly impacted by another object.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61037.exe

If you ever have to reinstall W7 again, use the audio and AMD/Intel switchable graphics drivers from the g6t-2000 CTO model.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think that HP has the wrong switchable graphics driver listed on your notebook's support page.

See if this W7 AMD/Intel graphics driver works.

You must only install the AMD graphics driver, which installs the drivers for both the Intel and AMD GPU's.

This package provides the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver and Catalyst Control Center for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. For notebooks with switchable graphics modes, this package includes drivers for both graphics processing units (GPUs). Switchable graphics enable users to switch between a power-saving graphics mode (normally used under battery power) and a high-performance graphics mode. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58894.exe

I don't understand the language shown in your screen shot.

Can you translate to English what the other two devices that need drivers are?

I'll take a guess and say that the PCI Device needs this driver...

This package contains the driver that enables the Realtek Card Reader in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The card reader enables users to read from or write to supported removable storage cards, which are typically used in digital cameras, digital music players, and cellular phones.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61722.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you for your fast reply!

The package you provided worked, it installed drivers for both my Intel and Radeon devices. When my device manager finally detected my Radeon graphics card, I also installed latest driver for it without any problems.

I've also installed Realtek Card Reader package that you suggested and now I am left with only one "unknown device".

My system language is Polish, so I will translate. Here's a screenshot of the device ID information(maybe it will help):

PCI bus.jpg

Device manager is also saying it's a Pci bus device and cannot install drivers for it automatically. Is there any way to find out what type of device it is?

And one more thing - on my notebook's support page there is one thing missing. When I downloaded the sound driver, it turned out to be ethernet driver, so I guess I am using the basic sound driver my Windows 7 installed automatically. If it's possible(I know it's not related to the graphics card which my topic is about), I would like to know what type of sound card my notebook does have and which driver would be proper for it. I remember that I had some kind of a sound driver installed before the format, but I did not copy it anywhere. Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here are the audio and unknown device drivers you need...

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56803.exe

This package provides the HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection Software (HP 3D Driveguard) for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection Software (HP 3D Driveguard) protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped, or is abruptly impacted by another object.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61037.exe

If you ever have to reinstall W7 again, use the audio and AMD/Intel switchable graphics drivers from the g6t-2000 CTO model.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I've installed both drivers you provided and everything is fine, display manager is not showing any unknown devices. Thank you for your help and advice! 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.