Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 440 G7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently purchased a second hand (possibly refurbished laptop). HP Probook 440 G7. I opened up the device manager and can't find the Nvidia gpu. I can't tell if it's MX130 or MX250 because windows simply doesn't detect it. I tried downloading and installing manually from the support website but still doesnt show up. I read that it's soldered to the board hence can't be removed. I'm using Windows 10 1903 if it matters please help. Some other drivers as well doesn't work like the fingerprint sensor although I'm note certain it's present in the laptop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The HP Quickspecs for the model series indicates that both the Nvidia GeForce MX250 and MX130 were optional GPU's.

See page 3.

Most 440 G7's only come with the onboard Intel graphics adapter.

What is the product number of your notebook?

You can enter the product number in the HP Partsurfer link below and see what motherboard graphics it came with.

HP PartSurfer

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The HP Quickspecs for the model series indicates that both the Nvidia GeForce MX250 and MX130 were optional GPU's.

See page 3.

Most 440 G7's only come with the onboard Intel graphics adapter.

What is the product number of your notebook?

You can enter the product number in the HP Partsurfer link below and see what motherboard graphics it came with.

HP PartSurfer

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you for your comment. It has eased my mind since I see no mention of both GPUs in the advanced tab.  However it does mention the fingerprint scanner present and the IR camera. However both fingerprint and face unlock options are unavailable under windows Hello.  Could it have been removed or is it soldered to the board? And I think the face option wouldn't be available if the camera is changed. I did update the camera drivers(as well as systy BIOS) earlier to no avail. While I may have missed it, I don't think it's available. I would be glad to close this as solved once you can confirm this and update it if it's indeed or becomes  available. I'm also looking to update my OS if it'll provide it options.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome,

Going back to that link I posted for you, on page 3 it shows both of those features as optional.

Enhanced security features including TPM 2.0, HP Sure Sense, HP Sure Start Gen5, HP BIOSphere, Hardware enforced
Firmware Protection, optional Fingerprint Sensor4 (select models), optional IR camera, and optional Privacy Pane.

I don't know how easy it is to see if an IR camera is installed, but there should be a sign of a fingerprint sensor on the keypad or the palmrest.

Below is the link to the service manual.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP ProBook 440 G7 Notebook PC

Chapter 2, page 13 shows the location of the fingerprint sensor on the 440 G7 notebooks equipped with one.

The fingerprint sensor is labeled as item 4 in the illustration.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and the provided documents. while the camera positions seem to be out of place. i.e  3 is actually the camera and 4 are the microphones, 5 and 6 are correct though. The document does say camera function depend on the hardware and software installed in the device so maybe it's not supported. I can however confirm that the fingerprint reader is present with the document and as does this ifixit page. I've confirmed that both options are not available under windows hello options and installing the fingerprint driver doesn't help either (it's not even in the device manager). Maybe there's extra hardware needed or maybe its faulty or maybe it's unplugged? I really can't say. Anyways I'll leave this thread open in case you have more input if not I'd close it. I'll however open it up and have a look inside to see if it's unplugged when I have time. Thank you very much for your support. 

A few things I think are beyond this thread 

• Camera shows up as HP HD Camera in device manager
  • Speakers still output sound when headphone is plugged in (should be easy as driver update not sure haha)
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

If the fingerprint reader is on the right side of the palmrest as shown in the illustration, it should be functional.

Normally, if the fingerprint reader option is not available, the notebook would come with a palmrest without the reader. 

Unfortunately, I don't know how you will be able to get it to work. 

I don't use the fingerprint reader on the few business notebooks I own that have one.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your support I'll go ahead and mark as solved. As for the fingerprint reader, I'll be updating windows in a few so can only hope it fixes things, not that I really need it but it's still cool to have. Also the partsurfer page indicates it came with integrated graphics only from the motherboard number. Again thank you and have a good day/night. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You have a good night too.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.