06-11-2019 05:38 PM
I"m not sure if this is the correct board to post this question on but I couldn't find one regarding keyboard and touchpad. Anyways I would like to disable my touchapd on my HP laptop or any laptop with Windows 10 for that matter. It seems that Windows 10 has hidden or maybe even removed the feature under touchpad settings where you could turn off touchpad or disable it while mouse is connected. At least that's how I disabled the touchpad on Windows 7 and 8. Does anyone know how to disable the touchpad? Would appreciate the help becasue it gets pretty annoying when your thumb accidentally bumps the touchpad while typing and it moves the cursor and either deletes text or it starts typing over what you already just typed 😞 Would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions on how to resolve this annoying touchpad issue. Thanks!
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-13-2019 06:27 PM - edited 06-13-2019 06:27 PM
@southpaw07 Welcome to HP Forums Community!
Depending on which touchpad driver you have, please follow the below registry edits to disable the touchpad, ensure you create an export (backup) of the registry before you make the changes:
If it's an ELAN Touchpad, use the below steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open the Win + X menu and select Control Panel from the list.
- When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Sound section and select Mouse.
- When the Mouse settings window opens, you should see the ELAN or Device Settings tab. Switch to it.
- Locate Disable internal pointing device when the external USB pointing device is attached option and enable it.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
If that doesn't work or isn't available, a registry edit should be the solution for us, I'd personally suggest a registry backup by clicking on file and export before performing the below steps, to be on a safer side:
- Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey in the left pane.
- Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor.
- After making those changes your touchpad will now be disabled every time you connect a mouse to your laptop. As you can see, even though this option isn’t available, you can still enable it by following these steps. We have to mention that this solution applies only if you’re using ELAN touchpad.
If it's a Synaptics touchpad, use the below steps:
- On some touchpads, you can turn on or off the Touchpad by double tapping in the upper left corner of the Touchpad. Double tap to turn the Touchpad on, repeat to turn the Touchpad off.
- Perform a hard reset by following the steps in the HP document Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset (in English). A hard reset clears the driver instructions. Your computer rereads all instructions from the drivers and software stored in the Operating System which can solve some problems.
- Be sure you have the latest drivers for your Touchpad. Use the following steps to install the latest drivers.
- Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads web page. Enter your computer model number and then click Go.
- Select your computer model from the list of results.
- Select your operating system from the drop-down menu and then click Next.
- Scroll down to select the driver category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices.
- Click the Download button next to the appropriate TouchPad or ClickPad driver. The file downloads to your Downloads folder
- Open your Downloads folder and double-click to install the latest driver. Follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
More assistance available: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/touch-pad/m-p/6797762
Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.
I am an HP Employee
06-16-2019 11:30 AM
HI, I checked and I have a Synpatics touchpad on my HP Sepectre X360 laptop 15t, and I treid all the directions you recommended, but I'm still not able to disable the touchpad. i reset the laptop, downloaded the new synpatics touchpad driver and also checked out the link: More assistance available: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/touch-pad/m-p/6797762. The link looked like it would help me, but I don't have a tab that says "clickpad settings" under additional settings of the touphad. Not sure what to try next but appreciate the help. Sorry for the long delay; I was just busy with work.
06-17-2019 12:08 PM
1: Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows + R, then type Regedit.exe and click OK.
2: In the Registry Editor, go to the following key:
3: On the right side, create a new DWORD value (right click to get create option) and rename it as DisableIntPDFeature.
Finally, change its value to 33 (make sure that Hexadecimal is selected under the Base section).
4: Close the Registry Editor and reboot your PC
If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.
I am an HP Employee
06-18-2019 12:37 PM
@southpaw07 Thank you for responding!
Please take your time and get back to us with the results,
We will be eagerly awaiting your response and would be glad to help.
Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a great day, ahead.
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
06-18-2019 06:32 PM
I was puzzled i didn't have Synaptics clickpad settings where everywhere online I searched it showed settings that I couldn't find so I re-downloaded the Synaptics touchpad driver and now have clickpad settings that allows me to disable the thouchpad without doing the Regedit work around. I so appreciate the help. Thanks Riddle_Deciper!.
11-22-2019 05:19 PM
This worked for my HP BS016 with Windows 10 (Home) version 1909, when nothing else worked. Thanks to MS for regularly forcing me to upgrade with the Home version. I get tons of new features I don't need and never use and problems like this to solve.