Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TOUCHSMART15 NOTEBOOK
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have connected my HP ENVY TOUCHSMART15 NOTEBOOK to an external HP monitor with speakers using HDMI cable.  I shut the lid of the laptop.  The picture is fine on the external monitor, but I get no audio signal from the monitor speakers.   The laptop software sound software recognized the HPMONITOR (HP w220 7h) and I name it and configure it  as the default, but no sound from external speakers.  The sound drivrrs area ll up to date.  ny suggetuions?

Angus

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @angus_mcl09,

Good day. May the forums welcome you! Smiley Happy  Good day!Smiley Happy How are you doing? Smiley Happy I read the post about the computer having audio issues when connected via HDMI. It will be a delight to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Great diagnosis and troubleshooting. Smiley Happy Fabulous assessment of the situation before posting your query. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a special privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy It is paramount to assist youSmiley Happy

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Has the audio ever worked before?
  • Have you tried with a different HDMI cable?
  • Have you restarted the unit and checked again?
  • Please let me know the complete model#

For starters, please visit this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01186408

Please perform all the steps from these links.

If this does not fix the issue, please update the bios, chipset, graphics and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers if it is available.

Then if it still does not work try a system recovery  to factory defaults from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643 and select the option that is relevant to your situation after backing up all your data.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Happy holidays to you and your familySmiley Happy  Take care.Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David: 

The sound ON THE 22" MONITOR (HP w2207h) has never been used previously.  I tried another HDMI cable from the laptop to the monitor as you suggested , but it did not change the situation.  The monitor is being recognized by the computer, but it will not configure  for sound when I try to do so.   Remember I close the lid of the laptop to use with the external monitor.   I have switched the sound back to the laptop and it congfigures OK.   The product number of the monitor is  GM757AA and there is a bar code CND8083 CYM .    The assembly # is 453072-001  rv GTM 003 (YEAR IS 2008) .  It is a configuaration problem.  When the external moniotor is connected to  the laptop by HDMI there is no sound but the video display is fine.

Any thoughts,

Angus

HP Recommended

Hi @angus_mcl09,

I reviewed your super quick response. I understand precisely what you say.

• Did you try to perform the step from the link mentioned above for sound issues?
  • It is the configuration setting when there is no audio from the HDMI port. Please perform the  steps "Troubleshoot specific HDMI issues" from the link. 
  • Have you checked the speakers of the Monitor? They may be faulty.
  • Please try to connect the computer to a TV via HDMI and check if it receives audio also. That will isolate the issue correctly.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Happy holidays to you and your familySmiley Happy  Take care.Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @angus_mcl09,

Sorry about the printer document in the post. It has been deleted.

Please let me know how this pans out. Please check the computer with an external TV and check if there is sound. Then the speakers on the monitor could be faulty.

Please let me now how this pans out. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.Take care and have a blessed weekend. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David:  there is no problem whatsoever connecting to  TV with HDMI:  I close the lid and there is no problem with the video or the sound.   When my laptop is connectd to my 22" HP, monitor (HP w2207h) the video is fine, but no sound.  I have never used this monitor for sound.  I do  not even know if it has speakers in it.  PLease can you check if it has speakers.  i LOOKED AT THE SPECIFICATIONS AND DI D NOT SEE SPEAKERS MENTIONED.  It has not been used very often and it has been looked after carefully.   I have tried to configure it but there is no icon with HDMI ON SCREEN only HP W2207h).  My conclusion is that I cannot configure this monitor sound only video.  There is nothing wrong with the Hdmi Cable or the laptop

Any thougts>.

Angus

HP Recommended

Hi @angus_mcl09,

Excellent diagnosis and brilliant and copious research have been done by you. Kudos to you for a job done superbly.:) You hit the nail right on its head.

However, the user guide for the monitor clearly states that the there are speakers on the Monitor and it should support HDMI output.

User guide link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00834092

Please visit pages 3 to 7 for more information regarding this.

The second link gives you information to connect the audio port of the monitor directly to the computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01368612

• If the HDMI does not give audio output and only video output, then the HDMI port of the monitor could be faulty or the speakers could be faulty.
  • A workaround for this would be to connect the HDMI output to the monitor and then connect a separate audio cable from the computer's audio port to the monitor's audio port as listed in the manuals.
  • If it still does not produce sound, then the Monitor speakers are faulty.

Hope this answers your question.Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you here:) I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David:  the problem was that the hardware speaker settong on the monitor was set to 0 so that was the reason for no sound.  I found a doc. on the internet decribing set up for the monitor.  We note that when L looked at the specs of this monitor there is no mention of seakers at all.  This serves to confuse the picture.

HP Recommended

hI @angus_mcl09,

I read your response and gave you all the required information stating that the monitor did have speakers from the user manual when you stated that there were no speakers.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I hope things work great for you and the unit stays healthy for a long time to come. It was an absolute privilege to assist you and share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you check, if proper drivers are in place ?

If it does not require drivers, and is plug and play, make sure all COM ports are open.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.