Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have v 8.4.14.41 but it still fails to install the HP Pen Control update?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with a brand new Spectre 360 13" laptop. I downloaded the latest version of HP Support Assistant as suggested but it makes no difference at all. Neither the HP Pen Control nor the Intel Serial IO driver will install. (It just hangs at the "Installing..." stage.) Rebooting has no effect.

I also tried disabling Norton Security but that had no effect either.

Finally, I note that the "Installation in progress..." dialog box has a stop button which is greyed out, so there is no ability to cancel the installation without going into task manager and killing it (clicking the close box in the upper right corner does not allow you to cancel the install either).

Hey HP! Software that just assumes it will always succeed with no error trapping, and which provides the user with no indication of progress (Did it hang? Is it still running but just taking a long time?) is not exactly best practice in coding! Can't you clean this up?? Also, some have suggested you have to download the latest version of the HP Support Assistant (which I did). Can't you have the software check to see whether it is the latest version when it starts up?

Can somebody please help me with this? This is very frustrating in a brand-new computer!

Thanks

HP Recommended

Original poster here again.

I just today tried installing HP Pen Control 2.0.0.21 (I had 2.0.0.20 prior to today.) I ran into the same issue, where the install hung at 100%.

What worked for me was to repeat the steps I listed in my 3-9-2017 post. Those steps are:

1) I ended the process named "setup.exe", as well as some other setup process whose name I can't recall. These processes had stuck around despite rebooting the machine.

2) I renamed all “sp#####” folders in C:\SWSetup.  If this is attempted without doing [1] first, then the OS complains that the files are in use.

3) I then used HP Support Assistant to try to install the “HP Pen Control” update by clicking the blue install icon. (I did NOT use the checkbox + “download and install” button.)

I don't know if all of those steps are necessary, but none the less I have 2.0.0.21 now.

HP Recommended

Thanks - these steps appear to have worked perfectly for me. I'm using the HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

HP Recommended

Worked perfect.

Did not have to re-name the folders, just check to overwrite then in the Pen Control Install Wizzard during installation.

Just to check if the version of the Pen Control in "About" of the application window before check that the installation was concluded with success in HP Support Assistance dialog box.

Thanks a lot!!

HP Recommended

@Victor_Baea wrote:

Worked perfect.

Did not have to re-name the folders, just check to overwrite then in the Pen Control Install Wizzard during installation.

Just to check if the version of the Pen Control in "About" of the application window before check that the installation was concluded with success in HP Support Assistance dialog box.

Thanks a lot!!

I think I must be missing something.  I don't believe you see the Pen Control Install Wizzard if you are using the HP Support Assistant.  At least I don't.

HP Recommended
Wow. The selected solution of updating the assistant software is what worked for me. My updates kept failing with a word message of "Cancelled Updates". It wouldn't give any reason for why the updates kept cancelling. I updated the assistant software, and BAM! Now it's working. I would suggest the developers for the software include a helpful message to remind the user to update the software in addition to the system.
HP Recommended

I just tried to install the update again.  This time after the installer completed, the HP Support software resumed after a few seconds and asked me if the updated completed successfully.  I indicated it had.  Everything is fine now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.