Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p248sa (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a WiFi6 (802.11ax) card that I can replace the Broadcom BCM43142 in my 15-p248sa with please?

Thanks,

dK

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe that your notebook only comes with one wifi antenna wire.

You can open it up to confirm my suspicion.

If your notebook only has one Wi-Fi antenna wire it will not support a dual band Wi-Fi card.

Your notebook lacking a M.2 Wi-Fi card slot (it has the older style Half Mini Card (HMC) slot) will not support a mainstream M.2 AX Wi-Fi card.

If your notebook only has one antenna wire, you will have to add a second Wi-Fi antenna wire which would entail finding the antenna kit listed in chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual and completely disassembling the notebook including the display panel to properly run a second antenna.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PCHP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

The type of AX Wi-Fi card you would need (assuming your notebook has two antenna wires), would be something like this:

MQ AX210 PCI-E Wifi 6E Card, Wifi Adapter Network Card with 2.4G/5G/6G Tri band, up to 5374Mbps, Wif...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your swift reply.

Yes, on disassembling the machine I can see that it has only one antenna fitted. I'm having trouble locating one under the part number in the manual; is it possible that it is known by another number (the single-antenna has DQ6R15G1200 on it for instance)?

Regards,

dK

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the product specs for your notebook it does not have a touch screen.

The antenna kit which includes both antenna wires (you only need to install the one that is missing), can be found in chapter 3 on page 31 of the service manual.

Antenna Kit (includes left and right wireless antenna cables and transceivers and screws) for HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
HP part # 762518-001

HP does not sell the kit you need, and unfortunately, I would have no idea where one could be purchased from.

You can check on eBay perhaps.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

HP Recommended

Just to finish this off.

In the end I went for a 802.11ac card as I found one for £8 on eBay. I also found a replacement antenna pair that were actually from an HP Envy, but fitted just fine, for the princely sum of £5 from eBay. It's a bit of a faff replacing the antenna, especially around the hinge area, but do-able.

Before:

Before.PNG

After:

After.PNG

So a great improvement for £12. Very happy with that! 😁

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.