Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV8
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi - I have a Pavilion DV8 on which wireless has stopped working - it won't connect to my network. I have tried updating the drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling. This started about 2 weeks ago after a Windows 10 update. I have Googled the wireless card (Intel 5100AGN) and apparently Intel no longer support this card so there are now no updated drivers compatible with Windows 10. Easiest is to replace the wireless card with a more modern version. I understand that not all are compatible (there is a white list somewhere). How do I find out what card to use as a replacement please?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mwdavey

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand your wireless has stopped working, 

And the drivers aren't available for your wireless card anymore,

Here's a guided troubleshooter that has helped many: Click here reconnect to the internet,

For the compatibility list, I will need your product number (please don't share any personal info such as serial number, email ID, etc..)

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thank you for your interest. I have been through the troubleshooter and the only thing I hadn't tried before was to reset the BIOS to the default - but that didn't work either.

Product number is VJ746EA#ABU

Thanks

HP Recommended

@mwdavey

Thank you for replying with the product number,

I've found the information after an extended research 🙂

Here's the list of compatible WLAN cards:

Support for the following WLAN formats:
■ Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/g/n
■ Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/g/n with Bluetooth®
■ Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/b/g
■ Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/b/g with Bluetooth

I hope this helps,

Have a good day ahead,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thank you for your response. Can I check with you - these are all current models that are compatible with this laptop and Windows 10? Do you have any idea how long they have been out - I don't want to replace only to find the replacement is unsupported in a short time. Thanks

HP Recommended

@mwdavey

Thank you for the reply,

The above mentioned cards are compatible with your motherboard, for more information - I would recommend you contact the HP parts store and they will give you the details description and ship the part over to your place as well.

I hope you have a good day,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thank you for your recommendation. I have spoken to Intel tonight and they are saying that the 5100AGN is now unsupported - even though it can still be bought and is not compatible with Windows 10. Is there another Intel card that is compatible - or even another make or do I give up?

HP Recommended

@mwdavey

Thank you for the reply,

These are the parts that are recommended by HP, 
Since you are going back and forth with compatibility issues, i would recommend (for your ease of access) to take the computer down to any of the local technicians and have them look into the parts available and compatible with your hardware.

Let me know, if that works for you,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.