Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-db0015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upgraded to the Verizon G3100 high speed router. First thing I noticed was I couldn’t find the 5 GHz option to connect my iPad & iPhone.  Verizon setup a new 2nd router name (xxxx-5G) and I was able to see and select either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz to connect all my Apple devices to the internet.

Then I tried connecting my HP 15-db0015dx laptop to the new 5 GHz router but the 5GHz option didn’t show up under the available networks.  Checked the properties of the internal Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe network adapter and determined it was only good for 2.4 GHz connections.  I purchased and installed an ASUS USB-AC53 Nano USB dual band Wireless adapter.  The system now shows 2 wi-fi connections,"Wi-Fi" for the Realtek router and "Wi-Fi 2" for the ASUS router.  The problem here is that the properties of both Wi-Fi connections show the Network band as 2.4 GHz and neither Wi-Fi gives me the option to select 5 GHz. 

The ASUS support staff latest “help” instruction suggests I may have a “Hardware limitation”.  Anyone familiar with this issue who may have a fix for the problem?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After talking to Verizon about my Router, ASUS about my USB Wi-Fi adapter and HP about my notebook, I decided to disable the internal Wi-Fi adapter, uninstall the USB Wi-Fi adapter, reboot the system then reinstall only the USB Wi-Fi adapter.  I was able to see other 5G networks on my list of available networks but not my own.  So I called Verizon, explained the details, and within seconds my 5G network appeared on the list.  All it took was for Verizon to select another router channel. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@TomBMass 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06265178

which shows it only has  Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo wifi card/adapter. This card does not support 5GHz networks.

>>>>> The problem here is that the properties of both Wi-Fi connections show the Network band as 2.4 GHz and neither Wi-Fi gives me the option to select 5 GHz. 

Very interesting, my machine can see and connect to BOTH at the same time (as shown on the following image) and it always selects 5GHz to use first, specially when download.

both bands.png

I'm using same ASUS nano USB dongle. You can disable the 2.4GHz on your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @TomBMass 

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to update the USB wifi driver to the latest version.

USB-AC53 Nano Driver & Tools | Networking | ASUS USA

I once had a Netgear adapter that was supposed to be dual band and it would only connect to the 2.4 GHz wifi band until I installed the updated driver for it.

The other thing you can do if you are handy at taking things apart, would be to replace the internal Realtek wifi adapter with this dual band AC model...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the RTL8723DE on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

HP Recommended

What model HP laptop are you using?  

HP Recommended

Thanks for the recommendation but replacing the internal wi-fi adapter would be the last resort.  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Had you already installed the driver I posted for your ASUS model wifi adapter?

HP Recommended

I have updated the drivers from both the CD & the web site.  No change

HP Recommended

After talking to Verizon about my Router, ASUS about my USB Wi-Fi adapter and HP about my notebook, I decided to disable the internal Wi-Fi adapter, uninstall the USB Wi-Fi adapter, reboot the system then reinstall only the USB Wi-Fi adapter.  I was able to see other 5G networks on my list of available networks but not my own.  So I called Verizon, explained the details, and within seconds my 5G network appeared on the list.  All it took was for Verizon to select another router channel. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.