Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wondering if there are any M.2 compatible wifi cards for my HP Elitebook 840 G4.  I was hoping to upgrade to 802.11ax standard. I was looking in particular at the OKN WiFi 6 AX200 M.2/HGFF 2230 card on Amazon. Are there any known working wifi cards for the 802.11ax standard for this laptop?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't find any discussions where someone upgraded the wifi card to an AX model in your notebook's model series, and the service manual does not show any AX cards being listed as supported.

HP EliteBook 840 G4 Notebook PCHP EliteBook 848 G4 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

So, the only suggestion I can offer would be to try this card...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro    HP part # L35282-005.

You should be able to find this model wifi card on eBay by searching by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

L35282-005 | eBay

The card is on back order on the HP parts store and costs $37.43 when it is in stock.

If you decide to take a chance on it, please post back and let us know if it worked.

HP Recommended

Here is what I ordered from Amazon - WIFI 6 AX200 M.2 card with Bluetooth 5.1 $18. I had to download new Intel drivers for both WiFi and Bluetooth from Intel's site. I used the program LAN Speed Test to get some comparison benchmarks. Using my original WiFi M.2 card that came with my HP 840 G4 I got these results Writing: 922Mbps Reading: 3257Mbps. Using the new Intel AX-200 based card I got Writing: 3,526Mbps Reading: 6,480Mbps. Quite an improvement. I did both these tests using my newly acquired UniFi 6 Lite Access Point. Money well spent on both the card and new AP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.