Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e171ed
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I never changed the default network card ever since I bought the pc, and I always used a dongle to use Bluetooth, but now I recently found out that my networkcard also has bluetooth. So, to my understanding, I shouldn't need the dongle at all.

Although here's the thing. Ever since I bought it I have found no option to turn the bluetooth on, other than the dongle settings of course. And whats even weider (at least to me), that in the adapter settings it is called 'Ethernet 2', as shown here:

netwerk2.JPG

The second line says: 'Networkcable not connected'

Is this how it should be? My device manager shows the PAN Network Adapter, and it says it has drivers installed, so I don't know what I would be doing wrong.

Laptop is out of warranty, so sending it to HP is not really an option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for your notebook, it does not come with built in bluetooth networking.

http://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c04169506

If it did that feature would have been listed along with the 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Wireless Connectivity specification.

If you let me know what model wireless network adapter your notebook has, I will confirm that for you.

That device you see was probably created by the USB bluetooth adapter.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for your notebook, it does not come with built in bluetooth networking.

http://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c04169506

If it did that feature would have been listed along with the 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Wireless Connectivity specification.

If you let me know what model wireless network adapter your notebook has, I will confirm that for you.

That device you see was probably created by the USB bluetooth adapter.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I think you might be right, I might have read the manual wrong.

I believe the network card is an Atheros AR9485, and when I looked it up on-line, I didn't find anywhere that it supports Bluetooth.

Thank you for your time :generic:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You are correct.

That model wlan card definitely is not a combination wlan/bluetooth card.

The Qualcomm Atheros AR9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter is the wlan/bluetooth card HP uses.

HP Recommended

Understood, thank you for checking it out for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.