Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have never used bluetooth on my laptop in the past but decided to buy a bluetooth speaker to play music from the laptop.  When I went to pair the speaker I discovered that I do not have a bluetooth icon.  I reviewed the help forums, downloaded 3 bluetooth drivers that were shown there.  I updated the adaptor (I think I did it right).  There still is no bluetooth icon on the action center nor anywhere else that I can think to look.  Please advise.  Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to be of assistance.

You will have to order the cards online...Amazon or eBay. 

You can get them from HP too but you will pay a lot more than you have to.

Just query by the part number, and you will get the same or equivalent card you need.

If your notebook has two antennas...

If you have, or plan to get a wireless AC router, then get this card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0               HP Part #710661-001

Dual band wireless N:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0  HP Part #717381-001

These cards should run between $20 and $30.

There are W10 drivers for either model card.

It is pretty easy. 

The hardest part is dealing with snapping on those tiny antenna connectors onto the terminals of the wireless card.

Just carefully position them over the terminals, and push down, and they should snap right on.

Also be gentle removing them from the old card.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a very good chance your notebook didn't come with built in bluetooth networking.

It all depends on what model wireless network adapter your notebook has.

Some are combination wifi/bluetooth adapters, and some aren't.

If you let me know what model wireless network adapter your notebook has, I will let you know what type wireless card it is.

If you don't know the model, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul ..... this is the only one I see.  Is it what you wanted?

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

If it is not useful for bluetooth what are my options?    Thanks!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is the lowest option wireless card there is. 

Single band, no bluetooth.

You may be able to replace the wireless card with one that has bluetooth if your notebook currently has 2 antennas in the wireless compartment.

Here is the service manual.

Check chapter 5, page 45 for the wlan card R&R procedures (it is very easy to change the wlan card in your model).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04091762

Let me know if you see two antennas in there, and I will give you two options for some nice replacement Intel dual band N or AC cards with bluetooth.

HP Recommended

Paul,  I glanced over the instructions and should be able to follow them.  But, not certain what I am to look for to report back to you??

I cannot do this until tomorrow afternoon.  Can I reply at this place then? 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can reply to this discussion at your convenience.

Take a look at the illustration on page 45.

Do you see the antennas shown in the picture?

The white and black wires labeled lightly 1 and 2.

Your notebook needs to have two of these wires present to upgrade to a much better card.

Even if only one antenna is currently attached to the wireless card you have, as long as there is a second one in the compartment, you can attach to a wireless card as shown in the picture, you are good to go.

If there is only one antenna with no other to be found, then your only option would be to replace the current wireless card with the Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter     HP part # 753077-001

You don't need to buy the card from HP.  Just do a search by the part number.  eBay ought to have them for sale.

But that is only if your notebook doesn't have two antennas.

The Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter is basically the same card as you have now, except it has bluetooth.

HP Recommended

Okay Paul.  I will check it out tomorrow.  If there are 2 antenae what card should I buy?  I have a Best Buy near me - would they likely have either of the cards available? 

Thanks, I really appreciate this help and hope I don't mess it up.  😉

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to be of assistance.

You will have to order the cards online...Amazon or eBay. 

You can get them from HP too but you will pay a lot more than you have to.

Just query by the part number, and you will get the same or equivalent card you need.

If your notebook has two antennas...

If you have, or plan to get a wireless AC router, then get this card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0               HP Part #710661-001

Dual band wireless N:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0  HP Part #717381-001

These cards should run between $20 and $30.

There are W10 drivers for either model card.

It is pretty easy. 

The hardest part is dealing with snapping on those tiny antenna connectors onto the terminals of the wireless card.

Just carefully position them over the terminals, and push down, and they should snap right on.

Also be gentle removing them from the old card.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of your detailed help Paul !

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how the wireless card upgrade went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.