Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17-k100nia
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Wi-Fi connection suddenly disappears and I can not connect to any wireless network. 

After some attempt, WiFi connection reappears but after few hour randomly desappear.

Tried to reset connection -> same as above

Driver updatet to last one available on HP website.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. It was the only test I hadn't done yet.
I have tried the solution and it seems to have solved the disconnection problems.

The problem remains at power on or after a restart. The WIFI card is struggling to find the networks and when trying to connect, the message "cannot connect to this network" often appears. I have to wait a few minutes and try several times for it to establish a connection.

I know it's a bad quality WIFI card so I ask you if is there any chance to replace it with a better one, best if dual band (2,4GHz+5GHz)?
Is there any compatibility issue due to BIOS blacklist?
Can you suggest me one compatibile with my laptop?

Thank you

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@vittoripaolo Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing Broadcom BCM43142 issue.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Would you check this setting?

• Go to Device Manager
  • Click on the network adapter to expand the list
  • Right click on the adapter listed and choose properties
  • Click the power management tab
  • If "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked, please remove it.
  • Click OK
  • Repeat the above process any additional adapters listed.

Here is a link to  HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10) that may also help.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. It was the only test I hadn't done yet.
I have tried the solution and it seems to have solved the disconnection problems.

The problem remains at power on or after a restart. The WIFI card is struggling to find the networks and when trying to connect, the message "cannot connect to this network" often appears. I have to wait a few minutes and try several times for it to establish a connection.

I know it's a bad quality WIFI card so I ask you if is there any chance to replace it with a better one, best if dual band (2,4GHz+5GHz)?
Is there any compatibility issue due to BIOS blacklist?
Can you suggest me one compatibile with my laptop?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@vittoripaolo

I understand your concerns.

A few things to remember are mentioned below: 

The compatibility of your router with the wireless card, 

If the wireless card is 1x1: supports 2.4 GHz and below - slow connection and download/upload speed, 

If it's 2x2 or more: support 5 GHz and above - Fast connected and speed. 

Here are your Product specifications: Click here for details. 

Your product Supports the following WLAN formats:

● Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

● Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

● QCA 9565 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter

● Broadcom BCM43142 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter

● Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter

You can check the manual  (page number 3) as well.

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx 

And order it via the HP Parts store: https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/CountryChoice.aspx?mscssid=&ccode=ZZ&lcode=ZZ 

Or alternatively, Contact HP for setting up an order/service via phone support   

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.
On page 3 of the manual I read "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter non-Vpro" can be used as well for the ENVY 17 model (that's my model).
Probably the best choice is to have an external USB WiFi adapter to have top performances.

Thank you again for the support.
Have a nice day you too!

HP Recommended

@vittoripaolo

Yes, you are correct. You can go for the external USB WiFi adapter.

It will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.