Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: compaq cq40-108tu
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi,

i have Compaq pressario Notebook CQ40-108 tu. i have installed win7 x64 ,every thing works fine except for inbuilt wireless  LAN card . it has broadcom MiniPCIe card ...so i changed it with Another Card from Atheros .. when turn on the laptop , it gives me this message .. error 104 network device unsupported, system halted. bios firmware is F.11C. 

is there any way i can whitelst this LAN CArd in bios and make it to boot ...?

if i remove the card it boots up... but then i have no wifi...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HussainR Greetings from the HP Community!

That's quite an old device, support for it is limited, that said, here's a few things that should help your cause: 

• Method 1 – Update BIOS
  • If that doesn't work, Method 2 – Reset the BIOS
  • Method 3 – Take out WiFi Card & use an alternate USB WiFi Dongle instead, to avoid compatibility issues among others.

Let me know how that goes.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@HussainR Greetings from the HP Community!

That's quite an old device, support for it is limited, that said, here's a few things that should help your cause: 

• Method 1 – Update BIOS
  • If that doesn't work, Method 2 – Reset the BIOS
  • Method 3 – Take out WiFi Card & use an alternate USB WiFi Dongle instead, to avoid compatibility issues among others.

Let me know how that goes.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i m currently using it with USB Wifi Dongle.. but it is eating up my one USB port.. i have 3 devices other than wifi USB  dongle..

so i have to frequently toggle one of the device in order keep wifi working...

can u please provide me with latest Bios firmware for this model.. it may resolve the issue after BIOS firmware update..

this MODEL has 3 USB 2.0 Ports...

HP Recommended

@HussainR Did you go through the link i had shared earlier? Update BIOS?

If yes, and that didn't help, click here to find and install the same (use specific model or product number of your device to obtain the information you need)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi Riddle_Decipher

well thanks a lot for quick response. i really appriciate the time and patience you have put in to read and answere my query..

but that did not fix either.. when i type my model number in HP support page, it keeps searching for long and the page evntually freezes.., then i tried using the HP help detect Your product tool.. it got installed and asked to restart .after restarting, again the tool kept on searching continusly and same agin...so is there any file which u can provide me over email so i can try to fix it as my Bios Firmware F.11.C . I am using windows 7 Proff. X64 on it 

HP Recommended

@HussainR I looked around and it looks like the COMPAQ CQ40-108tu is unavailable, you can only find the BIOS update using this product name: Compaq Presario CQ43-108TU Notebook PC: sp64612.exe < click this to download the latest bios version available: click here for details.

Let me know if that helps

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi ,

i tried to update BIOS with the file which u suggested, it says System not supported....i guess i have to go with USB Dongle..

anyway thanks a lot for replying my queuries and answering my.

i really appreciate your support and time you have put in resolving the issue..

HP Recommended

@HussainR I'm glad you've decided to go with the USB Dongle, as its the best way out of the compatibility charade,

That said, I wish you good luck, ahead.
Take care.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.