Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The other day I took my PC into my University's geek squad. When they took a look at it they said I have a cut cord on the upper right side in the hinge. What is this cord?  Ever since I dropped my PC last week (which is why I took it in to be looked at) my wifi has not been working well.  It would not connect at the school and in my room, where the wifi is fine (on other tablets or computers), it would not connect again.   The cord that is cut is located in the right hinge.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@sabbs98
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see that you're experiencing wireless connectivity issue and the hinge is damaged due to an accidental drop. 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you tried with an ethernet cable connection?
  • Have you tried uninstalling the network adapter?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps:

Step 1 Hard Reset -

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

4) Plug-in the Adapter.  

5) Try to turn on the computer.

Step 2 BIOS Defaults -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F10 once for BIOS. 
4) Press F9 for BIOS defaults. 
5) Press F10 to save and exit. 

Step 3 Uninstall Network adapter,

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console. ...
  2. Expand the "Network Adapters" field. ...
  3. Click "Ok" when prompted to uninstall the device. ...
  4. Once the adapter has been uninstalled click on the "Scan for hardware changes" button to search for and reinstall the correct adapter.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,
Thank you for posting in the Support Community.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

The antenna from the WiFi card normally terminate behind the screen.

So they must pass up thru the hinge.  Obviously without your model number it is difficult to show.

Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type msinfo32 Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

A WiFi USB type dongle may be your best option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.