Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
03-05-2021 04:36 PM
My chromebook won’t connect to my WiFi. I’m within a few feet of the router and the router has been checked, restarted, works on every other device in my house. Chromebook says out of range. I’ve restarted it, changed router channels, switched between WiFi near me. Doesn’t work. Help please.
03-10-2021 10:43 AM
HI@Lgemkow01, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
The only way to determine if your connectivity problem is caused by your Chromebook or your router is to test the Chromebook at other locations. If it can't connect anywhere, the problem is in your Chromebook and you will need to contact the manufacturer or a repair shop.
If you are using a managed device from a school or company, it may be restricted to only certain networks. Contact your administrator if that is the case.
If you are having problems re-connecting to your WiFi after your Chromebook wakes from sleep, try this:
Go to settings > advanced > privacy & security > keep wifi on during sleep. Enable that option. It seems to help some users. Also, make your network "preferred"
If you can connect to the WiFi network, but you can't get any internet content, you are probably dealing with a captive portal WiFi system. Let us know if that is the situation, and we can give you some techniques that will help you sign in to the portal.
If you can connect properly at other WiFi locations such as a coffee shop, it's the router, or router settings.
But all my other computers and my Xbox and my phone work fine.
It's the router.
But I know it's not the router.
It's the router.
But . . .
It's the router.
See this Help site to get started with the troubleshooting. Be aware that some older routers simply aren't compatible with Chromebooks due to incomplete or obsolete network protocol implementations. The Chromebook is always being updated to provide the latest and most secure connections possible.
Run the Chrome Connectivity Diagnostics to help identify the actual problem. You can download that app here if it is not already installed:
If you have access to your router's settings, these tweaks often solve the problem:
- A firmware update in the router can sometimes fix compatibility issues.
- If your router is dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz), assign a different SSID to each band. This will let you choose the band and see if one works better than the other for your location in your house. 5GHz does not travel through walls and floors well. Your Chromebook may try to connect to the 5 GHz band, and then have problems reconnecting in a weaker signal area of your home..
- In the WiFi security settings, make sure that your encryption is set to WPA2-PSK with AES Encryption. Disable TKIP if it is enabled. You may have to select WPA/WPA2. Do not select WPA only, as it is not secure.
- Disable WPS.
- Disable WMM/QoS
- Check (or temporarily disable) firewall settings to see if ports or sites are being blocked that may impact normal internet use.
- Change the name servers from your ISP's default to Google's servers, 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- Make sure the 2.4 GHz channel is set to only 1, 6, or 11. Other channels can cause problems.
- Test for Bluetooth interference - temporarily turn off Bluetooth and see if that helps. If it does, change WiFi channel and try again with Bluetooth turned on.
- Use a tool like farproc’s WiFi Analyzer on your phone (Android or iOS) to look for nearby routers causing interference.
- Look for other nearby routers operating on the unapproved channels and choose your channel for minimal interference.
- Do not use a hidden SSID - it really does nothing to improve security! Some Chromebooks will have problems connecting to a hidden SSID.
- Save the changes and reboot the router
- Reboot the Chromebook - do a complete power down, don;t just close the lid
Keep me posted. Happy to help!
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community