Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer has DNS server issue ever since the Intel wireless LAN drivers update today. Windows 10.  I did a DNS flush. That worked briefly but while online it suddenly cut and again says DNS server error. Can (and how) I just roll back to before this update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you, I ended up taking it to a computer repair shop, they fixed the issue with me.   

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Chandra77,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you are having issues related to Dns server not responding after the recent Windows update. No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you tried to update the router firmware?

Did you try to disable the firewall?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Solution 1 - Change the DNS server manually

Open Network Connections. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + X on your keyboard and choosing Network Connections option.

Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.

When Properties window opens, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.

Now select Use the following DNS server addresses option.

As Preferred DNS server enter 8.8.8.8. As for Alternate DNS server, you need to enter 8.8.4.4. If you want, you can also use 208.67.222.222 as Preffered and 208.67.220.220 as Alternate DNS server.

After you’re done, click OK to save changes.

Optional: Disconnect from the Internet and connect back again.

If the issue persists, the next step would be to install the latest drivers:

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Network adapters>then select the wireless drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the Wifi drivers.

Put the check mark next to delete the driver software for this device and click ok.

Now restart the computer and then check again.

Alternatively, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and Wireless card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to disable the firewall and check if that helps.

If the issue still persists, the next solution is to update the router's firmware: For more assistance, you can either contact your ISP or the router manufacturer.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you use the netsh command: 

1. Open Command Prompt as administrator.
  2. When Command Prompt opens, enter:
    • netsh int ip reset
    • netsh winsock reset
    • ipconfig /flushdns
    • ipconfig /renew
  3. After all commands are executed, restart your computer.

By performing these commands you’ll reset your IP and clear the DNS cache, so be sure to try this method.

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, I ended up taking it to a computer repair shop, they fixed the issue with me.   

HP Recommended

@Chandra77,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you know what the computer repair shop did?

HP Recommended

I'm sorry I do not 

HP Recommended

I say media disconnected after doing all in CMD, is that good?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.