Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-by0073cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought this new laptop (17-by0073cl) and love it....except for one continuing problem. Several times a day it loses WiFi connection even though the WiFi is working fine on my iPhone...it makes me run Troubleshooting...which tells me it has to reset the Default Gateway or it fixed the WiFi adapter. Other times it says nothing is wrong and I have to manually disconnect the WiFi and reconnect (sometimes several times} to get it to work. And they whole time I am doing this, my phone never loses the WiFi connections. How can I permanently fix this problem so that I don't have to "fix" this over and over and over....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @AlBerry, thanks for writing back to us and trying the steps suggested.

As you have issues updating the drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Use HP Support Assistant to automatically install computer updates, such as updated drivers, system updates, and useful utilities.

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @AlBerry, Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Don't worry I'm here to help you out. Please answer a few questions in order to assist you better.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Are the wireless drivers listed in the device manager?

Have you replaced the router recently?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Let continue with the troubleshooting now.

I know the steps look long, but it's worth a try to fix the issue.

Update the BIOS and Windows on the PC to the latest version.

Try updating the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Try updating the chipset and wireless drivers on your PC using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Note: Before uninstallation of the wireless drivers make sure your PC is connected via ethernet cable.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below to solve the wireless issue with your PC.

Click the Start Button.
Type “Device Manager” and press Enter.
Click Continue if prompted.
Click the [+] next to Network adapters.
Right Click on “Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC” or similar Wireless card.
Click Properties.
Click on the Advanced Tab.
Click on 802.11d.
On the right-hand side change the drop down to Enabled.
The  following steps are optional but may help:
Select TX power level.
On the right-hand side change the drop down to 100%.
Select Wireless mode.
On the right-hand side change the drop-down menu to “IEEE 802.11b/g”.
Click OK.

Release and renew IP address for your computer: 

a. Press Windows key + X and select “command prompt (admin)”.
b. Type ipconfig /release and hit Enter.
c. Then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.
d. Type Exit and hit Enter.

Set the channel width to Auto

One suggested solution is to set the channel width to Auto. To do that, follow these steps:

Press Windows Key + X and select Network Connections from the menu.
When Network Connections window opens, right click your wireless connection and choose Properties from the menu. Click the Configure button and go to the Advanced tab.
Locate 802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 and set it to Auto.
Click OK to save changes.

Forget the wireless connection

If you’re having “Windows 10 can’t connect to this network” error, you might want to “forget” your wireless connection in order to fix this problem. To forget wireless network on Windows 10, do the following:

Open Settings App and go to Network & Internet.
Go to Wi-Fi section and click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
Scroll down to the Manage known networks, select your Wireless network and click Forget.
After you’ve done that, connect to the same wireless network again.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot wireless issues with the laptop. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try running a system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Adios!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did include the product number in my original message....but it is 17-by0073cl.  To answer your other questions, I added the software that I use when I first set up the computer, but haven't added anything recently. And it has been having this problem from the very beginning,...it didn't just start after I added a new program. I am not sure about the wireless drivers being listed as I don't know what they should be or what to look for. For you last question, I have not recently replaced the router...it is the same one that I was using with my previous HP laptop and I didn't have this problem with it. I got this new laptop only because I was running out of space on my old laptop.

I am not sure if you needed to know the answers above before I start the troubleshooting process, so I am going to wait for your answer before I start doing anything. Also am I supposed to update the BIOS and update the chipset and wireless drivers before I go through the list of instructions? Or do I just do the instructions? I am confused because if I am supposed to do those things, why are they not just included in the recommended steps??? I am waiting to hear from you to start this process...Thanks for your help !!!!

HP Recommended

Hey there! @AlBerry, Thanks for responding back to us.

Splendid analysis and remarkable patience shown. It is immensely appreciated.

Yes before trying the troubleshooting steps I have suggested. Please update the BIOS, wireless drivers and chipset drivers on the PC to the latest version.

And if the issue continues after updating the drivers. Try the steps recommended in my previous post that should solve the wireless connection issues.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the steps listed and still am having the same problem. The only setting change I had to make was to the Wireless Mode. But in going through your steps, I came across one problem...the second step "updating the chipset and wireless drivers on your PC using HP support assistant " I was unable to do because I could not find where to do it. Once I downloaded the HP Support Assistant, I didn't see any place to click on a link for it. So then I put Chipset and Wireless Drivers in the search box and nothing came up. So I put Wireless Drivers in the search box and again nothing came up. If you could give me better directions of how to access this fix, I would be willing to try it. I am still having to disconnect and reconnect to my wifi several times a day. And when I run the troubleshooter, when it fixed it I get the same messages about the default gateway and the Wifi Adapter....Please help me....Al Berry

HP Recommended

Hi! @AlBerry, thanks for writing back to us and trying the steps suggested.

As you have issues updating the drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Use HP Support Assistant to automatically install computer updates, such as updated drivers, system updates, and useful utilities.

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks !!!!!!!!!! I didn't have time to try this for a few weeks, but once I followed these instructions and did all the downloads and new drivers, my laptop is working like it should. Nice to not have to reset my WiFi 20 to 30 times a day. I really appreciate the support....Al Berry

HP Recommended

@AlBerry

I see that you were interacting with @MrRobot. I'd like to help.

Good to know that the issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.